Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter >

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Like Tree1Likes

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Old 05-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the info psx. I would be more than willing to do some soldering if most of the changes can be made through reflashing. I personally wouldn't mind remapping the two trim buttons for channel 3. Not sure which option would be easier through programming.

Thanks to your firmware generator I've been able to experiment with momentary vs toggle for channel 3. Having the flexibility with this amazing radio via your incredible efforts in firmware development is astounding! I thank you for all of your hard work and look forward to any future advancements.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up To PSX

I'm am amazed at what you have done for us. I think you should put one of those paypal donate buttons on the firmware website. I realize these are inexpensive transmitters but that shouldn't stop us from donating a few bucks. One dollar, 5, 10, something. At least charge a few bucks for the new firmware your creating from scratch. I know I'm not the only one who thinks so.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fixitrod
I'm am amazed at what you have done for us. I think you should put one of those paypal donate buttons on the firmware website. I realize these are inexpensive transmitters but that shouldn't stop us from donating a few bucks. One dollar, 5, 10, something. At least charge a few bucks for the new firmware your creating from scratch. I know I'm not the only one who thinks so.
I agree. What's coming in the firmware from PSX is fantastic. If you put one of those PayPal "Donate" buttons on your web site, I will be sure to contribute for every radio I reprogram for others. We are going to start calling this thing, the GT3B-PSX. Thanks again!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

The work that PSX has done is fantastic.

I too would be happy to make a donation both as a "thank you" and to support further FW development.

...the "GT3B-PSX"...I like it..

:harry

Last edited by Harry E; 05-18-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added thought
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey psx, thanks for all the great work.
I just got my STM8S board today.
Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Anybody care to show their back light mods?
Old 05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

anybody doing the bearing mod, i bealive a standard 8x16 wheel bearing will also work. have not done it yet but i test fitted one on today and i'm 99% sure it will work.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 3 position switch

Originally Posted by psx
This cannot be done with original (and modified) firmware . That traxxas can be modified, because it is analog radio. GT3B is digital radio and is driven by program. And this original program only checks CH3 button and when You press it, that program switch CH3 state to opposite side.

But I am now testing new firmware written from scratch and it will be possible to do it there. Either by using existing buttons (CH3, trims, dualrate) or by modifying CH3 button to 3-position switch (or potentiometer).
just ordered a card,im also setting up a crawler with dig ,and need a 3 position switch mod, wow seems like i found the right forum,nice work guys
Old 05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (90%+)

Bugman, blingg-Check out the GT3B reProgramming thread over in the Australian forum. I have explained the theory behind the 3 pos switch. I believe it'll work, just that I haven't tested it out. It's called GT3B Reprogramming Service and Bearing Mod.

Jblaze, as long as the inner bearing size is 8mm it'll work.

We need an admin to edit the first post with links to all the useful info. Eg pg73 is my tutorial, pg82 is the link to the firmware site, etc.

We all owe psx something. With the time spent to read and change binary, he deserves something.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Heads up FYI:

Ok, I got my radio reflashed, but not without a little trouble.

First I desoldered the points QuangVuong points to (page 73, thank you) then hooked up the board otherwise stock right out of package with only 3 wires. My board had what appeared to be tiny surface mount resistors across SB1 & SB2. I don't know if all are like this.
The software would not read stock firmware - Don't forget to read/save stock FW.
So, instead of breaking the board I cut across the traces on the top side of the board with a razor bladeand boom it read the FW.
Then proceeded to load new FW, but wouldn't work again. Tried adding the 4th wire, but no go. Tried starting over, closed program, reconnect, but still nothing. "Will not communicate" or blah blah.
Then I cut the traces on the bottom of the board. This turned out worse because the board wouldn't even communicate with my PC now.
So, I soldered the traces on the bottom back together. Hooked it back up and it worked, just like that. I was a little baffled by all this.
However, my set up seemed a little finicky about the order of how things were connected. I tried removing the jumper and it seemed to work better. Put jumper back on then it wouldn't communicate again.

My process as follows:
Top traces cut, jumper removed. Radio needs own battery power with jumper removed.
Connect STM8S Board to PC;
Connect radio to board and power on radio;
Open Software;
Click "READ" tab then load new firmware.

I did this 3 times in a row and worked without fault.
I'm tempted to resolder the other cut traces just to see if it still works.
If I would have cut the board it would have been a lot harder to reconnect those traces.

Hope this may help someone in the future and thanks to everyone here.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by QuangVuong

We all owe psx something. With the time spent to read and change binary, he deserves something.
I agree. If PSX posts a link I'll use it.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bill_g
My board had what appeared to be tiny surface mount resistors across SB1 & SB2 ... So, instead of breaking the board I cut across the traces on the top side of the board with a razor bladeand boom it read the FW...
These resistors are zero bridges - this means, that their value is 0 Ohm .

Regarding your problem with cutting the traces or the boards apart, please see my post here.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fixitrod
Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

QuangVuong, do you have a link to the forum that you are referring to? I would be very interested in taking a look at your theory on the 3-pos switch.

As for owing PSX something, I agree with most everyone here. We owe PSX a lot for being the groundbreaker for diving into the inner workings of this radio. I would gladly donate something if a link was made available. With that in mind, I believe that QuangVuong is owed some admiration, praise and maybe a bit of monetary compensation as well. I don't know about everyone else, but if it weren't for Quang's excellent pictures and tutorial back on page 73, I would have been lost when trying to program my radio.

And to echo Quang's request for admin cleanup on the first post of this thread, I would like to resubmit my earlier suggestion. I would like to see a list created of those who have volunteered to offer flashing and/or bearing mod services. The list could be divided either by state or by US region as well as our international brothers and sisters out there offering their time. Trying to go through almost 100 pages to find someone to mod a GT3B HAS to be a daunting task.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (90%+)

Well heres the thing i wrote:

You'll need a 3 way centre off switch and a trimpot(value unknown yet). Pos 1 is on. Pos 2 is off. Pos 3 would be halfway. Pos 1 is negative wire. Pos 2 is postive wire. With Pos 3, the trimpot is placed together in series with negative wire spliced from the negative wire connected to Pos 1.

This is a theory which will work with Channel 3 if that channel is a analogue one. If it's digital it may not work.

If you could try it out, then you'd be another member who is contributing greatly. I have a couple tripots around, but ive never really got around to doing it. I dont know what value you need for the trimpot to get it contre for the servo. So youll have do use a multimeter to measure the volts until its 0v. Its either +5v or -5v when its pressed. I dont have a crawler, so I dont see any use for it. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default FS-R3C receiver and GT Power LED Light System 2.0

Has anyone here tried to use the GT Powed LED Light system 2.0 with GT3B receiver?

I have a bunch of this led kits and none works with the FS-GR3C receivers.
Have tested 5 different led kits on 3 GT3B radio systems, same results on all.
Front head lights do respond to trigger, but all the rest doesn't work.
Not sure if this is a led kit problem or specific receiver incompatibility as I didn't have the opportunity to try with other radio systems yet.

would be great to hear from someone who have tried this set before.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.