R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 PM   #1261
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanhighz View Post
Future electronics in the US carries them. I had mine shipped to me for $17 total in about 2 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
[both have them for about $18 shipped. Mouser is Texas based and Newark is in Illinois. Both are reputable companies. I ordered mine from Mouser. Shipped next day. This is the kind of thing that you don't normally find on Ebay.
thanks guys - I'll check these. I actually I know about newark but at the check out there is a big warning saying the item is not stocked so if it's backordered there is no refund or cancellation. so I pass.

edit: I ordered it from mouser.
www dot mouser dot com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=STM8S-DISCOVERYvirtualkey51120000virtualkey511-STM8S-DISCOVERY

Last edited by theenemy; 04-28-2011 at 11:30 PM.
theenemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #1262
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
I wonder if some kind soul could put together a video for this?
+1
Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #1263
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenemy View Post
I'm US, as of now, I look on ebay with the keyword "STM8S" and there is only one from Canada for $17 + $3 shipping. I'll buy this. But I am curious if something that can be salvaged from a computer can do this - I have an external hd box with the same connection and I took pics of the board - they are probably completely different things but I thought I'd ask)
My printer has that cable, so no problem there either.
For the last piece, I remember somebody mentioned that I can use a CD_ROM cable - is this possible?
and to connect the radio to the board, I basically need a cable and both ends will have the same port ( say the 3s lipo balancing cable) ?

thanks

I'm in the US and have a new on I can ship in the 48 states for $16
Old 04-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #1264
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If anyone wants, I can do this modification service for you. I just need to get my STM8S board delivered to me first.

"A girl’s legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part." – Redd Foxx
Robs Pics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #1265
Tech Adept

Exclamation

Again, if someone needs the original firmware file, send me a PM. My file was tested with psx's FW generator.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #1266
Tech Rookie

I opened the transmitter today to see what it looked like inside before any modification. so here are the pics.

photo 5 shows the 4 holes (circled in red) mentioned earlier, this is how it looks without any mod - I will probably solder a 4 pin matrix there as QuangVuong did (see pic in page 73) - I wonder I can find this pin in an old PC box?

and I guess I found the perfect cable, it is the cable that connects the CD-ROM to the mainboard (from a very old machine) - see photo 6.
Attached Thumbnails
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-photo6-medium-.jpg   FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-photo5-medium-.jpg   FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-photo4-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #1267
Tech Regular

THANKS PSX did it worked great
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM   #1268
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My pogo pins are arriving today. As soon as I can reprogram without soldering somebody else's board, I'd be willing to do it. It's one thing if I screw up and burn my own board.

I also wanted to make a comment on the range. Holy cow! Over easter weekend I tested it and I'm sure if I had binoculars I would have been able to go even further. This thing will easily go over 1/4 mile without issue.
J.Pietsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #1269
Tech Regular

Guys do the bearing mod it's worth it.i used a body reamer and 8x12x3.5mm bearing i did not use a flange bearing.All i did was keep test fitting till it went in snug put the steering unit back to gether and made shure the wheel did not scrap took it back apart and used tire glue to glue the the bearing in.
bosco72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #1270
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Pietsch View Post
My pogo pins are arriving today. As soon as I can reprogram without soldering somebody else's board, I'd be willing to do it. It's one thing if I screw up and burn my own board.

I also wanted to make a comment on the range. Holy cow! Over easter weekend I tested it and I'm sure if I had binoculars I would have been able to go even further. This thing will easily go over 1/4 mile without issue.
so these pins can be inserted into the "4 holes" on the trasnmitter board and soldered at the bottom? could you please post the link to where you got them? google'ing it returns tons of different ones.
thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #1271
Tech Addict

Quote:
so these pins can be inserted into the "4 holes" on the trasnmitter board and soldered at the bottom? could you please post the link to where you got them? google'ing it returns tons of different ones.
thanks
No, they are just pressed against the holes to make the connection. If you are looking for the pins you solder in, search for "1x4 Male Header Strips"
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #1272
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Pietsch View Post
No, they are just pressed against the holes to make the connection. If you are looking for the pins you solder in, search for "1x4 Male Header Strips"
yes ! attached a pic.

actually I look for anything that will make this work - do you think I can find pogo pins or 1x4 Male Header Strips in an old pc box? or locally, say at RadioShack or something ?
Attached Thumbnails
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-121-1012-4-pin-male-header-1x4.gif  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #1273
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
I built on your idea a bit by soldering 4 long thin wires permanently to the radio and braiding them together. Then I routed the wire down the handle along side the battery wire and into the battery case. I installed a 4 pin servo style connector borrowed from an old CD-ROM / sound card cable, leaving enough slack in the handle to pull the connector out through the open battery case and plug into the STM8 board, but also short enough to tuck back into the handle and close the battery lid when finished programming. I figured this is much easer that opening the top of the case each time I want to experiment with firmware changes. I also made sure to label the connector "PRG" so I don't pull a mind fart and try plugging a battery into it. Only drawback is that I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
Here's a couple of photos of the finished product. No need to open anything but the battery case to reprogram the radio.
Attached Thumbnails
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-radio-program-wire-1.jpg   FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter-radio-program-wire-2.jpg  
beemerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #1274
Tech Addict

Quote:
yes ! attached a pic.

actually I look for anything that will make this work - do you think I can find pogo pins or 1x4 Male Header Strips in an old pc box? or locally, say at RadioShack or something ?
I got my pogo pins off of ebay. It was like $9 for the pins, cable, harness and shipping. Not to bad.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 PM   #1275
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Here's a couple of photos of the finished product. No need to open anything but the battery case to reprogram the radio.
it looks cool - do you mind showing a picture of the soldering 4 long thin wires permanently to those 4 holes? or explain it? I have no experience but I want to try. Did you put the wires through the holes and soldered at the back ? I am guessing the soldered points should not touch each other. it is a very small area and there is another board soldered to the main board which makes the access to the back (where we have the GRN 5V etc text on the board) quite hard.

Tags
page 100 for all info