Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter >

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Like Tree1Likes

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

a common mistake is servo not centered (at neutral position) to start with. set your radio with equal endpoint % first, then center the servo(s) and check the throw of each direction.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skree
2.4ghz electronics is 3.3 or 5v. the radios have regulators in them to step down the 12v of the batteries to the voltage the transmitter part runs on

this mod for the DX6 (8xAA) shows it http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ektrum_mod.htm

so yes, they're designed to run on 12v but little cheap linear voltage regulators get really hot dissipating that much voltage (8.7v). They also waste a tremendous amount of power as heat - which means you get less runtime - and this is for a spektrum radio never mind a cheapie. these radios have closed cases and no heatsinks on the regulators which is a recipe for burned silicon.

What this means is you will be ok running the radio (this applies to all 8xAA radios not just the GT3B) as long as you dont run it for hours on end, you'll be giving the regulator cool down time before it gets into thermal runaway.. but i keep seeing threads "i left my radio on accidentally and now even with new batteries i have no range"

the reason they get no range is their regulator has partially burned out and no longer supplies the correct votage to the transmit part of the circuitry.

it's possible being a high end radio that the futaba 2pl has proper regulation. More likely you don't run it for hours and hours.

It's also very likely I am falling into the engineer's failing of overengineering everything. I have a habit of doing that. Thought it would be useful info for the folks here, especially those who (like me) do not like LiPo tech, or for one reason or another don't run it.. my electric cars run LiFe or NiMH batteries, i have Li-Ions in my nitro, soon to be upgraded when i can figure out where to fit them, to LiFe... i'm torn between using 3s LiFe or 9s NiMH (eneloop) for my GT3B.. will need the power saving of a proper regulator if i run LiFe as the cells that fit are only 1100mah and i do run for hours on end.. often running my electrics till all my packs are flat, then getting the nitro started
I didn't know that. Why wouldn't the manufacturer just make them run on Less AA then? I see what you're saying but it still means that a 3S lipo is no worse for the radio than running it on 8AA which is what 99% of people will be running it on anyways and also what it has been designed and marketed for.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Tech Regular

spektrum do make their tx run on less AA. As for other transmitter co's, I don't know why they dont make them run on less AAs. It's likely that other circuitry within the TX like the LCD driver, the pic that runs all the functions etc require more voltage, plus losses in voltage because its going through a regulator - if you put say 5v into a 5v regulator you'll get less v out depending on which regulator. some are about 0.6v, some are 1.3v loss. It's never any other part that appears to burn, just the transmission circuitry's 3.3v reg.. because this part uses more current than any other part of the tx. radio companies have been wed to 8xAA for longer than I can remember and it takes time or visionaries to break such a bond, i guess they will all eventually move on to less batteries.. look how popular AAAs have become in other electronics over the last 8-10 years.. personal music players, which would have been AA before, portable speakers which would have been C (R6), tv/hifi remotes which were either AA or PP3 9v, and how many people dearly love the spektrum radio's simplicity with batteries.. just fit 4 eneloops in, charge them occasionally, and forget about them. We're still in early generations of 2.4ghz technology in RC and other parts have not moved on.

It won't make any difference to the vast majority of users. the vast majority of users wont have their txs on for hours on end, will fit batteries so large in milliamp capacity a little inefficiency doesnt matter.. we are only talking about at most a couple of hundred mah. I'm allergic to inefficiency and long runtimes are important to me.. plus i'm the kind of person who holds on to things, pinches pennies, likes to be able to look back and say i havent blown a load of cash on whatever it was.. for example my tv was free and is a sony 21" tube tv which dates back to the mid 1980s, one of the first Trinitrons.. almost as old as me lol. I also love to modify stuff - as do my flyboy friends from whom this information came.

Most users of the GT3B will get annoyed at its low voltage alarm if they run 8xAA nimh. One listing i saw quoted it's LVA at 9v, but every other i've seen recently quotes it at 9.5v.. if it's 9v that's bad enough: at 9v 8xAA aren't even close to flat, at 9.5v they're just getting started (9.6v nominal)

I think running 3s lipo is a lot more popular in the USA than it is here in europe - for a start you guys have easy access to cheap lipos and a vast array of different sizes of them.. if i want a cheap lipo in the UK the only place to get them is ebay and we have a limited selection (only the most popular) on there from domestic retailers. Otherwise it's expensive packs from nosram, orion, et al. Also our race scene is dominated by 2s batteries - the biggest (only?) organisation here has banned any battery over 7.4v nominal for cars and racing dictates the market.

on top of this i do not trust lipo batteries. I know you can minimise the risk from them and one might have 200 packs run their useful life without a catastrophic failure i just can't see the sense in holding what can be essentially a mini firebomb in my hand as i use it.. Especially a chinese manufactured lipo. not criticising people who do have lipos but it isnt for me and i am not alone.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have given up on this radio ever making it to my handsthe tracking still says it hasnt budged in customs in chicago, which means that either it is being held or the package is damaged.Imean it's been in chicago for 15 days now.First and last time I buy something from HK and not have it shipped EMS
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I have given up on this radio ever making it to my handsthe tracking still says it hasnt budged in customs in chicago, which means that either it is being held or the package is damaged.Imean it's been in chicago for 15 days now.First and last time I buy something from HK and not have it shipped EMS
What seller did you get it from? I ordered from wowmodels on ebay and got it in 14 days (total cost was $60 with shipping). I also got a few more receivers, so now I am all set.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:38 AM
Tech Regular

2wdmod, that sucks. can you get in touch with the customs? you might be able to find out.. or get a refund and try again.. got to be worth it.. can't remember offhand if it's 4 or 5 rx can be ordered from hobbyking and get the cheapest rate of registered airmail.. now i've never had a GT2 or 3 but i'm betting it's worthwhile getting a couple of extra rx's as spares?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

I was just at the PO. They cant tell me anythingBummer is I already have 4 spare receivers, so with the one that comes with it I will have 5.Which is about half of what I really need at this point.Force Control now has zero items for sale,doesnt respond to any e-mails, so I will wait until day 44 and file a paypal claim for not receiving the item
Old 10-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I was just at the PO. They cant tell me anythingBummer is I already have 4 spare receivers, so with the one that comes with it I will have 5.Which is about half of what I really need at this point.Force Control now has zero items for sale,doesnt respond to any e-mails, so I will wait until day 44 and file a paypal claim for not receiving the item
You're too nice...Just file a dispute now. They'll respond to your emails then.
How many days has it been....then look at what their shipping info was for the auction then go from there.
I've had stuff from china not reach me and have had no issues getting my money back from paypal.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Glenwyatt
You're too nice...Just file a dispute now. They'll respond to your emails then.
How many days has it been....then look at what their shipping info was for the auction then go from there.
I've had stuff from china not reach me and have had no issues getting my money back from paypal.
It's been a month to the day today.I have had stuff not show up for almost 2 months before.Like i posted efore usually when it takes this long there is an issue either with damage to the package or to the shipping info on the package.Considering the one guy posted up that when he received his from force control the packaging was shotty, I will lay money that is the situation.If memory serves me correct he said they just turned the box the radio comes in inside out and that was how they shipped it.The mail system just isnt my freind right now, I am also waiting on a speed control i sent in to tekin to be fixed.They shipped it out over a week ago and still havent received it either.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

If the seller won't respond to your emails I would file a claim immediately regardless of weather or not he actually sent it. If he did send it then you will receive it either way and can cancel the claim when you have it in your hands. I've learned the hard way with chinese ebay sellers and have absolutely no patience for them anymore. Stuff is cheap but you have to keep an eye out for fishy business, and IMO ignoring customer emails is just that. On a side note this thread is about the radio and not your transaction so you shouldn't be cluttering it with daily updates. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by norco kid
If the seller won't respond to your emails I would file a claim immediately regardless of weather or not he actually sent it. If he did send it then you will receive it either way and can cancel the claim when you have it in your hands. I've learned the hard way with chinese ebay sellers and have absolutely no patience for them anymore. Stuff is cheap but you have to keep an eye out for fishy business, and IMO ignoring customer emails is just that. On a side note this thread is about the radio and not your transaction so you shouldn't be cluttering it with daily updates. Hope everything works out for you.
What are you doing with this post then....Is it about the radio??
Old 10-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Tech Rookie

Default No So Good News.

OK guys, back to square one. The GT3B seems such a promising radio with all the features of other radios costing many times.

On two occasions, when using the GT3B in the presence of GT3's radio has caused a total lost of control to the GT3B and also to the GT3

A guy switched on his GT3 yesterday and it caused my buggy to loose control and crash onto the parking lot kerb. The buggy suffered a bent chassis. Since it was not my regular venue for bashing, I thought it was just a blind spot in that particular area.

Today, after straightening my chassis, I was bashing at my regular weekend venue, when another guy switched on his GT3, I get intermittent control of my buggy which eventually led to total loss of control, i was at idle at that time and there were no damage. The GT3B also caused the GT3 guy to lose control of his buggy.

For now, I am going back to my trusty AM radio.

In the presence of other non flysky radio, the GT3B performed flawlessly.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by petrolhd
OK guys, back to square one. The GT3B seems such a promising radio with all the features of other radios costing many times.

On two occasions, when using the GT3B in the presence of GT3's radio has caused a total lost of control to the GT3B and also to the GT3

A guy switched on his GT3 yesterday and it caused my buggy to loose control and crash onto the parking lot kerb. The buggy suffered a bent chassis. Since it was not my regular venue for bashing, I thought it was just a blind spot in that particular area.

Today, after straightening my chassis, I was bashing at my regular weekend venue, when another guy switched on his GT3, I get intermittent control of my buggy which eventually led to total loss of control, i was at idle at that time and there were no damage. The GT3B also caused the GT3 guy to lose control of his buggy.

For now, I am going back to my trusty AM radio.

In the presence of other non flysky radio, the GT3B performed flawlessly.
WOW... that's not good.
Does anyone want to buy mine!!!
I thought there was a poster a while ago who said there were a bunch of people at his track that used them
Was he talking about the same radio?
I'll go back and look through the posts...I think he was the guy with the RC go-kart pictures....
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Location: AL, FL, IL, GA, MO, Canada due to race track locations and time there:)

As for glitchings? I've not heard zero to be honest. I still, as mentioned in a past posting, I personally run on the old 75fm setup. So none of these gtb3 radios have crossed over on my channel/channels or any others to my knowledge. I've been refusing the 2.4 for years. All due to the issues ( static shut downs, lack of binding and being a 100% dependable system) of other 2.4 companies and there radio setups. However, after seing some of the 2.4 systems here at our kart tracks, I see allot of their issues have now been fixed. We've serveral running 27am and 75fm due to past and some present economics.
Back to the Fly-Sky radio. The GTB3 have been performing nicely. Haven't heard or seen any issues, hammering, glitching or taking over someone elses kart at the tracks thus far. Keep in mind we run 6 karts at a time on a usual 40x60 or 40x80 onroad track. So once again I still haven't heard anything really bad less the wheel and back light issues. I did mention to JB one of our drivers who owns this radio on topic. He too told me he had no issues with the trims floating or other wise.

Robert
TERC
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

for me this makes no difference. it sure is disappointing but the likelihood of me coming across another flysky radio is low in the extreme i rarely run with another rc

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.