Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter >

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Like Tree1Likes

FLYSKY GT3b Transmitter

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Buzz65
Well that didn't last long. I performed the firmware upgrade 2 days ago. I worked great. I was able to adjust my trims better, more expo etc... Tuesday night I took it to work with me to show a few friends as we ran my two RC cars around a dry basin. We had a blast. Then tonight, when I NEEDED it for a race, I go to turn it on and NOTHING. Blank screen.

So I took it apart to see if I could see or 'smell' if the magic smoke had been released.

Below are a few pictures.
1st of the 4-pin connector I soldered on, then of the part that I noticed was REALLY HOT when I took it apart.

THE CONNECTOR

MY SOLDER JOB (I know it's rough)

Now here's what I noticed when I took it apart. Notice the black piece labeled 79MO5. That was extremely hot.

I"m not sure what, if anything I did wrong but I'm pretty mad at myself for screwing up my radio. To be honest, I was perfectly happy w/it before the firmware update. It's just that so many of you have had success, I figured I could do the same. Oh well, placing an order for another radio now.

Perhaps some of you guru's could take a look at the pics and let me know if I did anything wrong or what might be the cause of the failure?

Still a good radio...but mad that some of the guys at the track go to say "I told ya that thing was junk" when in fact it's probably somehow my fault.

The part that got "hot" is the voltage regulator and I think somewhere in this thread someone says it runs hot normally. It may be a compromise in the design or component to keep the cost down. I suspect one could replace it with a better regulator w/ little or no other modification and improve the battery life.

However, I'm not sure that is the problem. In the picture along the side where the radio name and PCB revision number is, there appears to be some reworked solder joints. It is not an uncommon practice in manufacturing to "fix" a faulty unit due to a solder process issue. It happens all the time, but usually the "work" looks better than what I see here.

So unless you did some soldering on those pins I would say that may be your problem. I would use a multimeter to check if those adjacent pins are shorted together. It is also possible they could be intermittently shorted due to mechanical forces once the plastic is reassembled, so if it were me I would clean it up either way.

Whatever you do, don't leave the power on long if you aren't getting the LCD to light up, at best you'll drain your battery. Worst case you'll find that magic smoke your looking for and at that point the radio might need to be trashed.

Rgds,

Joe
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Buzz65
Well that didn't last long. I performed the firmware upgrade 2 days ago...
Well, the firmware upgrade has nothing to do with this, as many of us here made dozens of flashing of the firmware.
As allready written here, you could have left some debris from your soldering, which moved and could short-cutted something. The hot part is the 78M05, which is a 5V voltage stabiliser. What batteries are you using, the standard AA or you did some battery mod and use 3S LiPo?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fixitrod
When using psx's website you have to have already saved the stock firmware from your radio. This keeps liability down for PSX because he'd be giving away their code. This way each individual is modifying it themselves.

So, save it to your desktop using the software for your programming card. When you look at all tabs just go to file and save.

When you go to the website, point to that file or load that file. Make your changes and save them (this is on the website). Save them to your computer somewhere you know like the desktop. Then follow the instruction for loading. Basically in the programming software go to file, open and choose the new file. Connect you tx by following the detailed steps from page 100. Send all tabs and the tx will have your modified firmware. Or, you could just load up his newly created from scratch firmware! Still save your default firmware in cas you need to go back.
Thank you very much. I'll try it this weekend.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 305
Well, the firmware upgrade has nothing to do with this, as many of us here made dozens of flashing of the firmware.
As allready written here, you could have left some debris from your soldering, which moved and could short-cutted something. The hot part is the 78M05, which is a 5V voltage stabiliser. What batteries are you using, the standard AA or you did some battery mod and use 3S LiPo?
Thank you for all the replies guys. I wasn't trying to blame the flash procedure. As I mentioned, it was probably something I had done wrong. My best guess would be debris or positioning, or like jreising said, perhaps some of the original soldering was close to fault and just took me 'messing' with it to actually short out.

As for batteries I'm still using standard AA's.

I have great faith in these radio's as I've already got another on order. I may try to troubleshoot the faulty one as well. Perhaps I may end up with two of them!?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default isues

I tried the search function on this thread but could not find any usefull info. What exactly are the problems with the stock firmware? I can upgrade the firmware farely easy after ordering from mouser but just wanted to know the advantages for upgrading.

As I understand the issues are trim is limited (can live with it), expo is broken (never used in my mx3x) and the zeroing wanders. Any others that I do not know off of? Also what is the latency of this radio? This is a backup radio for me so just wanna know....

Already placed the order for this Any idea where I can get the latest firmware ? I tried the attached one psx had and plugged it into his site but it does not let me download the custom firmware with my settings.

Last edited by aloksatoor; 06-09-2011 at 06:31 PM. Reason: more q
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

I know from experience that if thosepins are shorted at all the unit won't turn on until the short is removed. If you do have a short you may get lucky that nothing fried. That component is the voltage regulator. With 8 AA's even the voltage bleeds or drains off and creates heat to bring it down to 5v. but try reheating your solder joint to reflow that solder and it may come on.

It's likely you have a unit that has problems. Somebody's bound to get one someday... Lol

EDIT...
I just looked at the pic with the over heated solder joints... Ouch. Trace those 3 leads and you may find the issue.

EDIT 2...
Those pins are the display. They go to the big IC chip in the center after hitting c1 and r8 and the last of the 3 looks to be ground through the board. Maybe some loose solder made it to the pins right there or to the pins on the IC chip. Those solder joints that look repaired are actually normal. Some are flat and some are not... And it's random almost like they are right on the border on the temp that makes the solder flow properly in production.

Last edited by fixitrod; 06-09-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just finished upgrading my radio. It works as posted! Cool. Now I can adjust my exponential correctly. Also the trim goes to 99 now. ...Is there a firmware upgrade for human driver? LOL.

Thanks a million for Fixitrod and PSX for the firmware. And of course QuangVuong for the tutorial.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by highsiderider
Just finished upgrading my radio. It works as posted! Cool. Now I can adjust my exponential correctly. Also the trim goes to 99 now. ...Is there a firmware upgrade for human driver? LOL.

Thanks a million for Fixitrod and PSX for the firmware. And of course QuangVuong for the tutorial.
I had nothing to do with the firmware. I just load it up like everyone else. Quang voung helped me early on and PSX did the website and complete new creation!!! I'm not that smart... Lol. Well, I don't know code like the code monkeys that's for sure! I will offer help when I can or I'll take a stab at an answer if nobody has a solid answer. Please know... PSX did the amazing work with the firmware.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Default Firmware update

I got the latest 3ch firmware form the git repo. Now I need to customise the settings on it so I fed that file to the http://cs.mff.cuni.cz/~semerad/GT3B/. I ran it but I keep getting this error
Original firmware is not compatible with modifications

Anyone know what is wrong?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:18 AM
psx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I got the latest 3ch firmware form the git repo. Now I need to customise the settings on it so I fed that file to the http://cs.mff.cuni.cz/~semerad/GT3B/. I ran it but I keep getting this error
Original firmware is not compatible with modifications

Anyone know what is wrong?
This is all OK . Firmware from git repo is new firmware written from scratch and all is settable directly at the radio. And of course it is not compatible with original firmware which must be used at my web page to produce modified firmware. Original firmware You will get from your new radio.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Adept

Exclamation To newbies

The firmware you can download from this thread and from Github is completely new and is not compatible with the firmware generator! To use the generator you must have the original firmware saved from your radio.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by aloksatoor
I tried the search function on this thread but could not find any usefull info. What exactly are the problems with the stock firmware? I can upgrade the firmware farely easy after ordering from mouser but just wanted to know the advantages for upgrading...
Try for youself to see the difference. Compared to psx firmware the original is a crappy junky piece of ... ya know ...
The functions of psx firmware:
- 20 model memory
- Subtrims
- SaveAs to save model config to another memory location
- Global Setup menu to change function features
- dead zone for steering and throttle
- calibrate menu
- model reset
- key LCD test menu
- show firmware version
- change backlight time
- set battery low voltage
- maximum allowed endpoint value 100...150%
- trim step for trim buttons
- key beep OFF/ON
- autorepeat for trim buttons and dualrate buttons OFF/ON
- global reset
- all models reset
- all buttons and keys mapable
- up to 6 channel control
Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can't wait for the servo frame rate, that's going to make this radio perfect for me.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default mapping 3 posi

Originally Posted by psx
And how do You want to use this trims/buttons ? Write it here and I will try to answer You how to setup that keys.
hey psx im trying to map channel 3, switches , and button as a 3 position switch

using channel 3 trim or( DR switch i think would be best) ,switch Left Motor #1 Off(rear wheel drive)
and switch Right Motor #2 Off(front wheel drive)

And using ch3 button, when pressed, Both Motors On (4x4)

if anyone else can explain better please do ,cheers blingg
Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 AM
psx
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blingg
hey psx im trying to map channel 3, switches , and button as a 3 position switch
using channel 3 trim or( DR switch i think would be best) ,switch Left Motor #1 Off(rear wheel drive)
and switch Right Motor #2 Off(front wheel drive)
And using ch3 button, when pressed, Both Motors On (4x4)
OK, but this with CH3 button is not currently possible. I must add function, which will reset channel3 to centre.

But setting for trims is following (of course only in new firmware):
- select menu REV
- press ENTER-long
- select ch3 trim (id 3) or d/r trim (id d)
- press ENTER
- select CH3 (channel 3)
- press ENTER
- select NOL (no long keys)
- press ENTER
- select 100 (for values -100, 0, 100) or 200 (for values -100, 100 - value 0 must be done with CH3 button when I add this function)
- press ENTER
- select NOR (or REV if You want to reverse buttons)
- press ENTER
- select NOO (no opposite_reset, it doesn't matter for steps >= 100)
- press BACK

When You selected step 100, then You can use selected trim buttons to step from left-center-right and back. For step 200 You will have only left-right, centre from CH3 button is not currently possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.