Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need some advice on LiPo's and Chargers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Need some advice on LiPo's and Chargers

Well the title pretty much says it. I've been out of racing for 12 years now and got bit by the bug again. Doind some research shows that alot has changed since my last time at thee track.

What LiPo charger would you recommend that's not overly pricey and something that will do for now while I get my feet wet again?

Also what batteries are decent that aren"t going to drain my wallet?

What kind of charge times am I looking at for the suggestions you make?

Sorry for the noob questions but this technology is all new to me. I feel like my grandpa talking about computers......im only 26. haha

I will be running 1:10 scale off road buggies and will most likely be grabbin one of those Mamba Max Pro brushless combos. Thanks for any help!
Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I recommend Fantom Racing lipos. They are more expensive then other brands but they are awesome. Great customer service too. As far as chargers; http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html. It has the same internal circuit boards as more expensive models. I love mine. It works great.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If you're going to stick with 2S lipos, any of the decent 50watt chargers will take care of those. A lipo takes roughly an hr to charge at 1C charge rate (1C charge rate = capacity (mah)/1000, so 5000mah has a 1C charge rate of 5amps) due to lipo's two part charge process, CC/CV (constant current/constant voltage). It doesn't matter if its a 1500 or a 8000mah lipo, its going to take roughly an hour to fully charge at 1C.

Some lipos are rated for more than 1C charging, but this takes more charger output power. A 2S 5000mah needs 42watts at 1C, 84watts at 2C, and 210watts at 5C. Most AC/DC chargers are 50watta but there is one available that has 100watts. DC powered chargers (requires separate power supply) range from 50 to 350watts and are more expensive due to the additional power supply. When your charging needs mor epower than the charger can supply, the charger liomits charge current and this extends charge times.

If you'll run only 2S, look at these chargers - plenty in use on these forums especially the Thunder AC-6, its AC/DC, 50watts and has a built in bal;ancer, another necessity for a liopo capable charger.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/chargers.html

If you're going to run 3S and up, you'll need a charger with 100watts - Dynamite Passport Ultra is one of the few AC/DC power 100watt chargers. You need to specify a littel more about what you're planning so lipo recommendations can be geared that way - hard case, soft case, physical size and cell counts all depend on what you want to do.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Wow thanks for the great information. As far as what Lipo batteries I will be running, from what ive read, will be hard case, most likely 2S around 4000mAh. I am only going to be racing 1/10 buggies for now. I have read some forums and seen 1C and now I know what their refering too! Ill be racing at the club level, would you recommend getting a few packs to cycle through as to not overwork each? Any recommendation on manufacturer for LiPos?

I wouldn't mind jumping up to 1:8 scale in a few months are packs like 2S 4000mAh able to be run in those 1:8 scale buggies?

Ill check out those chargers. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think I've read about guys using just one pac and charging between races. Lipo can be charged as often as you need to, unlike NiMh. You might want a spare, but get some advice from guys at your track that are running lipo now on what is working for them.

1/8ths usually run 4S and I'm starting to see a shift to higher cells counts and lower kv motors to take advantage of higher voltage, lower current (less heat) operation. If you get a pr of 2S you could run them together with a series harness and they would be equiv to a single 4S (but weigh more and be physically larger than a single pac).