Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Oldschool RC guy looking to modernize LIPO? Brushless? >

Oldschool RC guy looking to modernize LIPO? Brushless?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oldschool RC guy looking to modernize LIPO? Brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Oldschool RC guy looking to modernize LIPO? Brushless?

Ok guys, so here's the deal, I want to creep back into the RC hobby without spending a fortune.....yet modernizing with newer technology.

I'm still running an AM radio,NIMH packs, and brushed motors. I mainly run Touring cars/parking lot bashing ......but I might begin to dabble with some drifting and etc. I have 2-3 nice RC cars....one being a TC3 Team Kit that I bought and built back in '2000 ....AND A Losi XXX-S that I'm waiting to arrive.

I really like Futaba radios...and I currently have a Magnum Sport T2PC. I'd REALLY like to be able to use one radio to power my cars....and I like the looks of the Futaba 3PM 2.4 radio What are the advantages of running a radio like this? Is there another brand of radio that's reasonably priced, with comparable features? Obviously I'm concerned about receiver cost also.

Batteries...... I currently have 2 3300 6 cell packs....but unfortunately I've not maintenanced them properly...and they don't have much life. Is there any way that I can bring these packs back to life? What are the advantages of running LIPOS? Can I run LIPOS with brushed motors too?

And finally....motors. I have an older 16T in my TC3....but I've heard about how wicked fast some of these brushless motors/systems are. I'd like to get an absolutely wicked fast setup to run with some of my buddies and thier nitro trucks and such. Any recommendations on a quality setup for a reasonable price? What all else would I need to change on the car to operate a brushless setup?

SORRY if these questions seem juvenile....I just don't have many people local to me to get help from....and the closest decent RC car shop with support is over an hour away

THANKS for any and all suggestions,

Brian
Old 03-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The radio's advantage is multi-model memory (10), all the adjustments (EPA, EXP, etc) and using 2.4Ghz - no freq conflicts, ever. The rcvrs are pricey though and there are other brands of radios where the rcvrs are not as costly. Spectrum radio may have Futaba beat here over the cost of additional rvcrs.

Depending on just how long your pacs have been sitting, you can try reviving with a long, slow charge at a small charge rate, like 300ma for 12-15hrs and see what that does. If it revives them a little, next step is to cycle them on a charger and see if you can get the discharge amount to come up. If these have sat months, they may charge, but not hold that charge long due to internal changes in the cells that occur with just sitting long term.

Lipos are easier to live with - they have a very minimal self discharge unlike NiMh and need no discharging prior to charging. You just need to avoid over discharging below 3v/cell and overcharging above 4.2v/cell. One downside is lipo requires a special charge and unless your charger has a lipo mode, you'll need another charger that is lipo capable. Lipo capable charger will protect the lipo from overcharging. Modern escs have low voltage cutoffs to protect from overdischarge or if they don't you can add a separate LVC like a Smart Stop. Lipo will run brushed or brushless, it doesn't matter, they just need to be protected from overdischarge.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Tech Adept

Duster, THANKS for the comments and advice.

These packs of mine have sat for at least a year and a half......so they may very well be toast.

If I do shop for some LIPO batterys...then what should I be looking for? I notice there's a bunch of different versions...or so it seems.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

While 2.4gHz is very nice to have, I saved my money and bought another FM. Since virtually everyone has switched to 2.4 I have not had a frequency conflict in years. The long antennas are the only complaint I have, but thats not a big deal.

I have brought many Nimh packs back to life with vigorous cycling, and it is very possible you can make your packs workable. But if you want a high power brushless system then even new Nimh will have trouble keeping up. Lipo will give you more power, more runtime, they are easier to maintain, and they will last longer. Like Duster said you will need a specific charger though. If you stick with your brushed setup then you will need a lipo cutoff to prevent over-discharging, brushless systems are lipo ready.

Hobbycity.com has good deals on lipos, but they are frequently out of stock since they are so popular. I would recommend 7.4V, a minimum of 4000MAH, and a min of 25C. This will give you plenty of runtime and plenty of current capability for a high power brushless system.

This would be a very fast brushless system. These have a reputation for being one of the best in the business, with extreme speed and toughness. They also have some of the best customer service in the industry.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXWH9&P=0
There is a faster version, but trust me when I tell you that you would be wise to avoid it unless you are drag racing only.

For a cheaper option these work great. They are not as widely known as the above, but they do perform well for the money. Customer service can be a hassle, but both of these systems are very reliable, so it should not be an issue.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ez-60a-rc-...ar-system.html

Both of these systems in a TC with a decent lipo battery will outrun just about any nitro RC. I am unsure about your XXXS, but I know the TC3 can handle alot of power with very little to no upgrades. I ran the Castle 7700 in my TC3 for years with nothing but steel differentials as an upgrade.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Adept

Burnineyes----THANKS for that advice!

I might just stick with an FM system. It certainly is cheaper. It's not like I'm a competing racer....I'm just parking lot bashing and playing with friends.

As for the bettery issue.....I'll look into those LIPOS..... I need new packs now anways...so I might as well just get a new charger and packs.

Brushless......straightline speed would definately be something that I'm after...... hell, I LOVE going fast I'll do some comparing on those systems that you recomended....

THANKS!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

For a hundred buck or so you can get the airtronics mx sport 2.4 ghz 3 channel