1/10 vs. 1/8 brushless motors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 vs. 1/8 brushless motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Company Representative

When using our HV 4.5 motors in the 4x4 SCT, we are recommending 2S only. These motors can (and have) been run on higher voltage, but we do not advise 3S or 4S in a racing application.

Speed runs are OK. We even renamed this motor; now it's named "HV4.5 4WD Short Course 550-Size Brushless Motor -- 2S".

Hard to misunderstand what it's intended for now.....

Originally Posted by Dave H
If I’m not mistaken the HV stands for High Voltage. All of the specs and gearing recommendations listed on Novak’s site list 14.4 volts, 4s lipo and 12-14 nimh cells.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
When using our HV 4.5 motors in the 4x4 SCT, we are recommending 2S only. These motors can (and have) been run on higher voltage, but we do not advise 3S or 4S in a racing application.

Speed runs are OK. We even renamed this motor; now it's named "HV4.5 4WD Short Course 550-Size Brushless Motor -- 2S".

Hard to misunderstand what it's intended for now.....
Yikes, sorry. Where is the info on the site, I'm apparently so clueless I can't seem to locate it? But I do see the 4.5 HV is not listed on the HV charts. Even though clicking on the 4.5 on the motor chart takes you to that page...
Old 03-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Company Representative

Yikes, sorry. Where is the info on the site, I'm apparently so clueless I can't seem to locate it? But I do see the 4.5 HV is not listed on the HV charts. Even though clicking on the 4.5 on the motor chart takes you to that page..
We also gave the HV 4.5 motor its very own, special listing:

HV4.5 4WD Short Course 550-Size Brushless Motor -- 2S

This 550 motor is so old, that when we first released it, it was "HV"......
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks. Trust you will update the main site so those of us that buy through our local shops will have the right info. Maybe even drop the HV.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Company Representative

Thanks. Trust you will update the main site so those of us that buy through our local shops will have the right info. Maybe even drop the HV.
We won't be offering this HV 4.5 through distribution. However, we will be editing old HV listings (and copy) to remove outdated information and add the 4x4 SCT compatibility.

(That's my week-end assignment....)

We will name the new motors "Ballistic 550s"; no more the HV motor, which has enjoyed a pretty perilous career, prior to this recent resuscitation.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

It is to bad the Novak doesn't currently offer an ESC with advanced timing features. When shopping for an ESC for my new short course truck, Novak was the first place I looked. I have a Havoc Pro / Ballistic combo for my touring car and it was nice to get it as a package deal. It also has been a very solid runner. I ended up getting a Mamba Max Pro and went with a local manufacture for the motor. Novak missed out on two sales not having have Kinetic ready.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We are recommending our 550 motors for 4x4 SCT applications. It's not that the smaller motors cannot be used, but the 550 size motors are the better option in the heavier vehicles

Since the HV 550 motor has a stator and rotor magnet that are almost twice the length of a 540 motor, it will have twice the torque of an equivalent Kv 540 motor.

HV 4.5 550size (5000Kv)
Ballistic 8.5 540size (5000Kv)

Therefore, if you are running two motors (one 540, one 550) with equivalent Kv in the same vehicle under equal driving conditions, the 550 motor will only have to work about half as hard and will heat up about half as much as the smaller motor.

We will be announcing our new Ballistic 550 motors soon; offering the same rebuildability as our Ballistic 540s.
Thats exactly the info I was looking for! So, when & where can I get one of these motors?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:20 AM
Company Representative

The HV 4.5 is available in our store and from NitroHouse.