Wiki Posts
Search

[Havok] Repiar & Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default [Havok] Repiar & Warranty

Has anyone had issues with working with Novak on warranty repair?

I have a Pro Ballistic ESC & Brushless motor that are damaged and want to send them.

I tried calling them to discuss the issue prior to sending the equipment to them. Left 2 voicemails as well as an email to their support address and have not received a call or message back. Its been 4 days.

I printed out the claim forms, but I have some questions before I fill them out. Would sure be nice if they'd respond to me.

Here is my issue, with detail for clarity.

- Purchased Havok Ballistic Pro ESC & 17.5 motor combo
- Purchased 8.5 Stater
- Motor w/ 8.5 Stater overheated (over 300 degrees, in a 4x4 slash with 11 tooth pinion & stock spur)
- ESC no longer sends constant power to receiver.

So, what I have is a bad ESC, a bad 8.5 Stater & a bad motor housing. I dont know if I need to send 1, 2 or 3 claim forms in since the Motor & Stater were two separate purchases, as well as the ESC.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Drusillus; 03-11-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Company Representative

We answer all emails promptly; and I am always available here. Always be sure to fill in the "subject line" of your email with the word Novak or a product name. You can return all items at the same time---following the directions for filling out the forms. We will evaluate them for warranty replacement. You can just use one claim form.

Our motor warranty does not cover over-heated, burnt motors. We do not recommend using the 540 motors in heavy, 4x4 SC vehicles because of the possibility of motor damage. We also do not warranty burnt stators. Therefore, you do not need to return your motor; you can repair it yourself from service items available in our store and from your LHS.

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
The more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.

Originally Posted by Drusillus
Has anyone had issues with working with Havok on warranty repair?

I have a Pro Ballistic ESC & Brushless motor that are damaged and want to send them.

I tried calling them to discuss the issue prior to sending the equipment to them. Left 2 voicemails as well as an email to their support address and have not received a call or message back. Its been 4 days.

I printed out the claim forms, but I have some questions before I fill them out. Would sure be nice if they'd respond to me.

Here is my issue, with detail for clarity.

- Purchased Havok Ballistic Pro ESC & 17.5 motor combo
- Purchased 8.5 Stater
- Motor w/ 8.5 Stater overheated (over 300 degrees, in a 4x4 slash with 11 tooth pinion & stock spur)
- ESC no longer sends constant power to receiver.

So, what I have is a bad ESC, a bad 8.5 Stater & a bad motor housing. I dont know if I need to send 1, 2 or 3 claim forms in since the Motor & Stater were two separate purchases, as well as the ESC.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I understand your 540 motor comment about it not being recommended in the 4x4. The stock Velineon 3500 Motor from Traxxas is 540 as well.

Also, what you're saying about the motor overheat not being covered, then I should just send in the ESC?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Company Representative

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I understand your 540 motor comment about it not being recommended in the 4x4. The stock Velineon 3500 Motor from Traxxas is 540 as well.

Also, what you're saying about the motor overheat not being covered, then I should just send in the ESC?
We are not saying that 540 size motors cannot be used in 4x4 SCT, just that our HV 550 is a better choice in these heavier vehicles. Using the smaller motor requires a much more careful set-up (gearing) and monitoring to prevent system over-heating.

Since the HV 550 motor has a stator and rotor magnet that are twice the length of a 540 motor, it will have twice the torque of an equivalent Kv 540 motor.

HV 4.5 550 (5000Kv)
Bal. 8.5 540 (5000Kv)

Therefore, if you are running two motors (one 540, one 550) with equivalent Kv in the same vehicle under equal driving conditions, the 550 motor will only have to work about half as hard and will heat up about half as much as the smaller motor.
The likelihood is that overheating your motor caused the additional damage to the Havoc Pro esc. We will certainly evaluate your esc for warranty replacement; however, the damage may not be covered. In that case we offer a fixed price esc replacement.

Our other Havoc controllers (1S, 2S and 3S) can be used only with BL motors with built-in thermal overload protection. With these Havoc set-ups, the system shuts down if the motor overheats. This circuitry protects the electronics from the type of damage described above.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

If I send in the ESC will you notify me via email or phone if the unit will be covered or not prior to charging my credit card which appears to be required on the repair form?

I may want to opt for it not to get fixed if Novak decides the repair/replacement is not covered. I'd like to weigh my options before you move to the next step.

thanks!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Company Representative

If I send in the ESC will you notify me via email or phone if the unit will be covered or not prior to charging my credit card which appears to be required on the repair form?

I may want to opt for it not to get fixed if Novak decides the repair/replacement is not covered. I'd like to weigh my options before you move to the next step.

thanks!
You can omit your CC info and add a note to Customer Service asking them to notify you.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Thanks!

I'll send the unit out Monday at the latest.

I appreciate the help