Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Can I revive these lipos?? >

Can I revive these lipos??

Can I revive these lipos??

Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Can I revive these lipos??

I am prety sure I just screwed myself out of 3 zippy lipos but maybe somehow I can revive them.

I had an emergency and had to go out of town for a while and was traveling alot, and all my RC stuff just got left in a mess for 3 months.

All batteries were brand new or had 1-2 cycles on them and are Zippy FM 3S5000MAH.

2 got left in my erevo. Either the truck was left on, or they just slowly discharged since they were still plugged in. They now read .01 Volts with a voltmeter through the main connection.

1 got left on the charger, but the charger was unplugged. It now reads 7.4V but the charger says low voltage and wont charge them.

I have an ICharger 208B, and tried balance charging, and just charging. Is there any way to try to charge these back up? I was thinking of trying to charge them on NIMH mode slowly, to get some voltage in them. I also have an Onyx240 charger for my NIMH's.

BTW I dont blame the batteries. I have 3 more that were not plugged into anything, and all read 11.xx, and I have charged 2 so far w/o issue, need to charge the 3rd.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JuddGA View Post
I was thinking of trying to charge them on NIMH mode slowly, to get some voltage in them. I also have an Onyx240 charger for my NIMH's.
Do that in an area where if something goes wrong they won't burn the house down... (garage concrete floor)

Try & get them above 9-10 volts on NiMh, & then go back LiPo mode & keep the amperage low.

They may not be 100% stable & I would consider a manual discharge out of the truck to 9.9v & then another charge to see if they puff or do any thing unwanted.

Good luck.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

your on the right track, Give them a real easy charge on nimh, then swap over to lipo. I have managed to do the same thing twice (leave plugged in) one came back to normal, but did loose a little capacity, 1 never recovered all three cells, but has made a fine 2cell.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your 208B will be fine to do this. As long as these lipos show no obvious signs of damage like swelling, try charging them as NiMh at 0.5 to 1amp. Watch them carefully while charging as NiMh and stop immed if you see any swelling. Charge until you have voltage up over 9v, when I had to do this I charged mine to 9.2v just to make sure I had it high enough that charger would charge it as a lipo. Soon as voltage is up, stop the NiMh charge and charge it as a lipo like you would normally. They should now charge.

Monitor for swelling while charging and for the next few disch/charges - if they don't swell, they are prob good to continue. If they swell, they are prob damaged to the point they need to be replaced - I'm not talking a slight puffing, but something that gets pretty obvious.

This just saved a new 3S lipo I received from HC that was deliverd with a cell at 0.28v.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you do this, please post your results. It would be nice to see how it worked out.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Rookie

I was able to get them all above 9 volts on the onyx240 at.8amps.

Now I am trying to balance charge as Lipo. First cycle was at .5amp and timed out after 2 hours, then I went to 1 amp, and it timed out after 2 hours. Now I am trying a third time at 1amp, just put it on.

The pack is at 11.7ish. Is that fully charged? I am expecting it to get in the 12's and the charger would tell me its done, not timed out. I think I can increase the timeout, but thats not the point. Is it possible they will never fully charge?

Should I discharge/charge them a couple cycles through the Icharger before installing in the truck?

If I loose .5 volt or 1 volt, it wont be so bad. You ever seen an ERBE on 6S? Its crazy. As long as the batteries are safe thats whats important

So far no heating,puffing or swelling
Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

if u've givin them the light bump and the voltage has come up. time to give it a real cycle. as said above, outta the truck would be ideal. never leave em in truck plugged in even if switch is off. learned that 1 once, saved a lipo that way. trickled it up on a non-peak (voltage sensing) charger til it was in range of being charged normally.

best of luck

R
Old 01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

LiPo's fully charged top around 4.2v per cell. (4.18-4.21v or so)
3s = 12.6 fully charged.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

I wanted to see if they showed any swelling, which they apparently did not, which is good. Your time out probs are due to cells not balancing - charger keeps trying and trying and eventually times out. This implies there may be some permanent damage.

My chargers have adjustable "safety time". Suspect yours does as well, but prob will take time with manual to find it. Check cells for voltage and if they're pretty close, I think its time to run it and discharge it. Keep a close eye on it for swlling and if none, I would try low charge rate to see if it helps get voltage higher and balance the cells.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

2 hours at 0.5A, and 2 hours at 1A should only charge appx. 3000mah. It will generally be a little less since it is balancing also, but you get the idea. While I do not recommend changing your time settings on the charger for those packs, it will definitely require several cycles to reach full charge.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Rookie

I have never seen a swollen lipo so I dont know what to expect. the packs are getting some type of swelling to them. The undamaged packs you can press on the exterior and get no mushiness or depression. the damaged packs I can push in up to 1/4 inch.

Is that normal or is that the type of swelling that is bad?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

I've seen a lot of diff opinions on this but for me a slight swelling is tolerable - usually just enough that you realize the l;ipo is swollen. With as much as you have, thats gone a little farther than I'd be comfortable with I'm afraid to say. I'd be concerned they were borderline unsafe and I'd replace them. The swelling and the low voltage both imply this is damaged.

Not sure anyone explained, but when batts are left plugged in, even though the esc is 'off' there is a parasitic drain on the batts and this will continue to discharge them. You have to unplug the batts.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

any swelling on a lipo is not good, and zippy's are the only lipo ive seen go up in flames at the track thier really not a good battery.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

swelling lipo are indeed dangerous. i had once such as trekpower 4900mAH & orca 5000mAH swells before it does smoke.