Wiki Posts
Search

New P/S Pulsar 3 charger please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default New P/S Pulsar 3 charger please advise

Hey, I just picked up a 30 amp Integy power supply. I used to have a Pyramid 10amp. Im running a LRP Pulsar 3. I was getting the ocasional "low imp" message so i upgraded. I charged my 7.4 5000 MAH SMC last night with no issues with 12V imput constant. when I charged my radio battery 11.1 2100 pack the charger displayed the "low imp" message again.

Is the integy a variable power supply?

Could there be an issue with the charger?

Any help/guidance would be apreciated.

Dan
Old 12-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Sounds like its a charger problem. Unless your P/S has adjustments on it that are out of spec. I would give the repair hotline a call at Associated. I had a Pulsar 2 with a problem and they fixed it free even after the warranty was out. Very great service over there.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

My Hyperion chargers have to be set to match the input voltage of the power supply. I use a 13.8v supply and have the charger set for 13.5v input.

I'm not familar with yours, but check and see if the charger's input voltage is set to what the integy power supply's output voltage. If the charger is set lower than the power supply, it may be limiting your charging.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

yeah, its weird. Its like because the amps are low its drawing less from the PS. I'll jump on the Associated site and ask the techys over there.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You might want to check your powersupply as well.

In order to charge ANY battery, the source voltage coming out of the charger and into the battery has to be higher than what the battery will nominally be (otherwise current flows the other direction).

Is your powersupply up to snuff with the voltage? An 11.1V pack may require as minimal as 13V to charge...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Champion

Not necessarily true in regards to the power supply voltage. Most modern chargers are based on switch mode power supply technology and can generate a higher output voltage than the input power supply voltage. I’ve charged 4S lipos, 16.8v, with a normal power supply, ~13.8v. Of course it does require more amperage than you are charging at. Although I don't know if the Pulsar 3 is a switch mode design.

Edit: Rereading Tom's post, he did say 'may require' a higher voltage. Which is true for a linear based device (old school if you will). We're on the same page it appears.

Last edited by Dave H; 12-17-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

In reading the pulsar manual it said it will switch to a lower charging rate to deal with the lower imput voltage. Hmmmm Im stumped. sending an e-mail to integy and Associated now. Keep the ideas comming an dI'll update with their responses.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

If you have an Ammeter handy, it might be worthwhile to stick that in series to either the positive or the negative terminal of the power supply to see how much current the Pulsar 3 is actually TRYING to pull...

Again, check the voltage across the terminal on your power supply. Your power supply should be able to hold the voltage so long as you don't exceed 30A...

Meanwhile, perhaps contact LRP (you probably already did this) and see if it's some sort of a common bug with the Pulsar 3.

I'd tell you it's not, but my sample size is only "one" from my single Pulsar 3 ownership experience...
Old 12-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Have a look on the pulsar3 manual for voltage calibration mode. Its number 9.

for the manual:

http://www.lrp.cc/en/service/manuals/?1=1&l=150

Hope it helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

LRP said its prob the powersupply and integy said its prob the charger lol. The PS is putting out at least 12.9 at the outputs and on the clips to the charger. before I recalibrate the charger I am going to use my charger on my friends proven 15A radioshack and vice versa with the exact same loads my receiver pack... stay tuned been away from the track with the holidays but I should know next sat.

Dan