R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 11-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to vstrok
Default Turnigy Charger / Turnigy Batt Problem!

Probably a dumb question....

I went to charge my LiPo and an error message 'Low Voltage" popped up. Is the battery bad?
vstrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No, not a dumb ques. Just means that the voltage as connected to the charger is too low for it to initiate a charge. Some chargers you can set the min voltage (within a range like 3.2 - 2.7v/cell), some you can't. If yours is adjustable, measure voltage and see where its at. Then see if you can adju to be below that voltage. If you can, it should charge.

If not, try charging as a NiMH at 1amp max just long enough to get voltage back over a the min (may a few tenths over). Then stop charge, reset as a lipo charge and try again. This seems to work almost all of the time.

Its happened with more than one of these, so its not that unusual. Which charger did you get??
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Also check your main power source voltage. If you are using a power supply this will likely not be an issue, but many folks use car batteries and if they are too low it will cause a low voltage message too.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
No, not a dumb ques. Just means that the voltage as connected to the charger is too low for it to initiate a charge. Some chargers you can set the min voltage (within a range like 3.2 - 2.7v/cell), some you can't. If yours is adjustable, measure voltage and see where its at. Then see if you can adju to be below that voltage. If you can, it should charge.

If not, try charging as a NiMH at 1amp max just long enough to get voltage back over a the min (may a few tenths over). Then stop charge, reset as a lipo charge and try again. This seems to work almost all of the time.

Its happened with more than one of these, so its not that unusual. Which charger did you get??

i have the Turnigy ACCUCELL-6. I really like it. I will try out your method and advise. Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Tech Master

Duster - problem solved! Thanks bud!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Great - thats good news!!

Watch these cells for imbalance as you run them. Let me know how you like them and what you think of them. I'm getting tempted to try some myself.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Tech Master

Duster - I have bought the following from Turnigy batteries out of hobbycity.com. All run great! I included pricing too:

2 - 3S, 1600 MAH, 20C ($40 FOR BOTH SHIPPED, 3-5 DAY SHIPPING)

4 - 2S, 5000 MAH, 20C ($106 FOR ALL 4 SHIPPED, 3-5 DAY SHIPPING)

I always monitor the cells, and have not had one problem as of yet. The problem from the other day was 100% my fault.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Default Turnoff Lipo low voltage error?

When charging the cells up at 1.0 amps in NIMH mode, should the blanche plug be used, or no? Hoe long should the process take to get the voltage up to a point where it will charge normally?

Thanks
Mushry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushry View Post
When charging the cells up at 1.0 amps in NIMH mode, should the blanche plug be used, or no? Hoe long should the process take to get the voltage up to a point where it will charge normally?

Thanks
it doesn't take the balance lead into account when in nimh mode. I had it happen once to me so I charged it for about 15 minutes at 1 amp. That was enough to bring the battery back up enough to where it would charge in lipo mode
mellen_mpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushry View Post

Thanks
Lipo won't charge if voltage is lower than ~3v/cell. What you're really trying to do is get the voltage back up over 3v/cell so the safety protection of the lipo charge mode will let it charge as a lipo. When I have todo this, I use 0.5amps or less and its important to watch the lipo for swelling and the voltage. I usually let mine get to 3.2v/cell before I shut the NiMh charge down and try charging as a lipo. It will take as long as it takes. I don't use a high charge rate as I want the cells to charge evenly and if there's going to be a prob with the lipo, it will take longer to start at lower charge rates giving me more time to do something about it.

This may get you by and back on track as a lipo, but you have damaged that lipo.