Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson) >

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Like Tree31Likes

How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Video is up in first post. Links to youtube.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marine6680
I also recommend going to page 7 of this thread and finding the post and how to from RCGary. It is very good quality (he does have a good camera and camera man to help )
Good Camera, yes, but I was the cameraman, editor and producer of the video. I'd say that I was the on-screen talent but that's using the term "talent" rather loosely

If you want you can post a link to our tutorial in your first post. I'll paste the link below for you, that way you don't have to go searching for it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=2094
Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Good Camera, yes, but I was the cameraman, editor and producer of the video. I'd say that I was the on-screen talent but that's using the term "talent" rather loosely

If you want you can post a link to our tutorial in your first post. I'll paste the link below for you, that way you don't have to go searching for it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=2094
Linked, thanks
Old 01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking You da man!!!!

I read your post last night and all i can say is awesome!! I knew I wasn't the brightest when it came to soldering, now I know how little i really knew lol... Here's just a few problems I now realize. I believe my solder is too old, about 12 yrs ago i bought it and hasn't been stored in a sealed package! I knew that darn soldering GUN was no good, it's going in the trash!! I am starting over with all new equipment, going out to purchase a real soldering iron. Definately going to find the 63/37 solder, getting some liquid flux, as i now realize the paste i was using really is tougher to use.
Thanks for the great info
Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

No problem, good luck. Remember to get a big tip, the checkpoint comes with a larger tip, but how big it actually is, I do not know.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

I make the vid finally and no replies... lol
Old 01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Videos look good. I'm looking for a good source for RMA flux. I picked up some RA flux at Fry's but they didn't have any RMA flux. It also seemed like when using flux, the solder really wicked up the wire a bit. Any tips on preventing that?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

RA flux will work fine if that is all you have, just clean the residue left over very well.

The solder wicks up the wire because the flux wicks up the wire before you tin. RA is more active and will allow a bit more wicking. Pour a bit of flux into a small open container, like a bottle cap/top stick it somewhere warm and let it dry out and get thick. Use just a little of that instead of the liquid when tinning wires and it will not wick as bad.

(you can use a hair drier for about 10 min to dry it out quicker, just be careful, and remember the dry flux is thinner when warm, so don't over dry it.)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Very good video. Thx for sharing your knowledge.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Cool SMTmax for your soldering tips BEST PRICE IN THE USA!!!

Hi members,
We stock soldering tips that fit Hakko, Madell, Weller and the Radio shack soldering station. Our company name is SMTmax. I cannot put our website here but if you google us, you will find our website Call us (951) 543-4543 were located in Corona, CA. It look similar to Madell. But if you call us we offer 15% discount on any of our soldering tips and also free shipping if purchase more than $20. I highly recommend us for any parts or spare for your soldering station. You will not be disappointed but satisfy with our product.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Great thread! I bought an Aoyue digital solder station for cheap a while back...works great. It's got a ceramic element, disctrete temp control, etc. and you can get it at Amazon for $50. Good deal! I'm new here, so I can't post links yet, but it's easily searchable on the site.

later!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by marine6680
I make the vid finally and no replies... lol
For me, the only reason I didn't see it yet is that I waiting some weeks for the material (Kester solder and flux) to arrive to me in Italy. For better remembering I wanted to study the video immediately before I make the first soldering with the new material
But ok, you convinced me, I watch the videos now and will watch them again before soldering.
I will comment soon
Old 01-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Ok, after reading the theory and watching all the videos (noticing some differences) I try to make a summary of the real-life steps needed for efficient soldering as I understood them:

1) moisturize the sponge
2) set the temp of the iron (see first post for the numbers)
3) turn on the iron
4) apply the flux to the post and the wire
5) after the temp led blinks, clean the tip on the sponge and cover it with a thin layer of fresh solder ("tin the tip")
6) shovel the solder from the tip to the post, clean the tip and tin it, shovel the solder to the wire
7) put post and wire in stable contact, clean the tip and tin it, apply the tip on the contact point on a side and the solder wire on the other side (not directly in contact) or use the tip over both to press them without adding other soldering to solder them
8) at the end of the soldering, clean the tip and widely tin it
9) turn off the iron as soon as possible
10) clean the soldering zones from flux residue with isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol with a little brush and/or blotting paper

Please correct where it's wrong or even just not ideal.

PS: RCGaryK what produces the heat at 7:30? your hands?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Marine, in your first post you wrote "I do not see Randy using flux, but I still suggest you use it. Also, notice he heats the components with the iron and applies the solder to the component. He is not putting solder on the iron and then using the iron to apply the melted solder. That is called shoveling, and is not good technique."

Can you please clarify what of the two methods you cited is called shoveling and is not a good technique?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Tech Initiate

The "Owner's Manual" of the Tekin RX8 combo says to "Pre-Heat both the wire and the post" before putting them in contact each other and soldering them.

You never mentioned pre-heating. Is it better to do or to avoid it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.