Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone try the Thunder AC6 charger?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Apparently, some of the early posters said they were pleased with theirs and the way they worked.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

+1 with this charger easy to use and good balancing.... i got the hobbypartz one.. cheap and fast shipping..storage mode is also helpfull.. after you run your car and your done for the day just plug it in and use storage mode. this should not take a long time since you already run the battery...
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Batteries Confuse NOOOB

Just got 1/16th e-revo. Comes with horrid charger with no indicators 6 hr charge. If devil made a charger he would make this. So checking out some lipos and see you need to spend heap wompum on chargers. So since I don't have heap wompum:

1. how fast will this charger charge up 1800 mah 6 cell NIHM batts, until I cam afford some 2S lipos.
2. want to get a summit at some point after I sell all the crap I don't want for christmas that I got on ebay to get some money for it. So reading the posts this charger would not be good for 3S / 4S lipos? Will they not charge them completely or just take longer to charge them?

Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC_NOOOOB
Just got 1/16th e-revo. Comes with horrid charger with no indicators 6 hr charge. If devil made a charger he would make this. So checking out some lipos and see you need to spend heap wompum on chargers. So since I don't have heap wompum:

1. how fast will this charger charge up 1800 mah 6 cell NIHM batts, until I cam afford some 2S lipos.
2. want to get a summit at some point after I sell all the crap I don't want for christmas that I got on ebay to get some money for it. So reading the posts this charger would not be good for 3S / 4S lipos? Will they not charge them completely or just take longer to charge them?

Thanks
NiMH's would take under an hour to charge, charging at 1C rating (1.8A)

If you get a Summit, you would be running 2 batteries, either 2-3 cell Lipo I would guess, unless you stick with the stock 7 cell NiMH's that it comes with.

Charging a 3-4 cell Lipo on a 50W max charger will work, it will just take longer depending on the battery capacity and the number of cells. a 4S battery on a 50W charger (Most of the chargers are 50W/5A capable)

For example, on my 50W turnigy 6 charger, my 4S 5000Mah 14.8v battery can only get a 3.3A charge rate.

Hobbypartz has a few inexpensive LiPo chargers that include the power supply that look interesting. I have not tried them personally.

(I did however order some small LiPo's from them last night, will see how long they take to get here)
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will try this or the turnigy. Don't want to almost as much money on the traxxas quick charger then have to get another if/when I try out Lipos.

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will try this or the turnigy. Don't want to almost as much money on the traxxas quick charger then have to get another if/when I try out Lipos.

Thanks again.
From looking at the menu's, all these chargers have the same guts. The menu's buttons, plugs are all in identical locations.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Thanks
I don't have much to add to the discussion but I wanted to make sure you know how much the heap wompum line made me laugh. Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Lord

Thanks again.
I just got a mini-erevo and picked up a GT Power A-6-10 charger from HobbyCity. It is like the Turnigy Accucel charges, but more powerful - it will charge both my 3S lipos at he same time using the $1.80 adapter I found on HC. The charger is a $70 charger and for 200watts of output power, you won't beat it for the price. My only complaint - the deans output cord is DOA, other than that, its been amazing.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...r_&_discharger

Heres the adapter -

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...ad_(2_x_3S)6S_
Old 12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wurthusa
I don't have much to add to the discussion but I wanted to make sure you know how much the heap wompum line made me laugh. Thanks.
Heh, to prove my noobness, I now have to spend more heap wompum cause I just ran my little revo for the first time and broke it in within 5 minutes, cuz I smacked the belgian block curb at over 30 . Needs me a 5334R cuz mine is shattered.

Only one thing to do, fix it, change the pinion gear and serial up the batts tomorrow and go for 50 mph + and totally obliterate it.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=Duster_360;6727195]I just got a mini-erevo and picked up a GT Power A-6-10 charger from HobbyCity. It is like the Turnigy Accucel charges, but more powerful - it will charge both my 3S lipos at he same time using the $1.80 adapter I found on HC. The charger is a $70 charger and for 200watts of output power, you won't beat it for the price. My only complaint - the deans output cord is DOA, other than that, its been amazing.

Thanks, I'll check it out
Old 01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Just received mine last nite. The documentation blows goats, is incomplete, and is written in some kind of 2nd grade Chinglish, but it seems to work well enough.

I found that I was not able to save a 'LiPo Balance' configuration under the data save menu item however, it always comes up as 'LiPo Charge' instead when using data load to load it back after saving. The docs are so bad that I can't even tell if this is normal...

ianc
Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Mine just keeps the last setting I had used....good enough for what I need right now.....so have not messed with programing.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

How does this charge Lipo? Does it keep the amps constant till the pack hits 8.4V for a 2C?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Lord

This is only a 50watt charger and unless the lipo is a small capacity 2S, its not going to be able do a 2C charge, chargers max rate is 5amps anyway.

Any lipo charger keeps amps constant until the max cell voltage of 4.2v/cell is reached. Thats just part of a lipo charge - referred to as the CC - constant current. This is followed by the CV part - constant voltage where the voltage is held constant and the lipo 'tops off' as the current falls.

My Hyperion 0610iNet, Accucel-6, GT-Power A-6-10, TC 1030 and Ice chargers all do it this way.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I ordered one of these from hobbypartz labor day monday and i wont get it until tuesday. ups was diing around apparently. they usually ship usps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.