Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo possibly damaged...should I keep it...pics up

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Lipo possibly damaged...should I keep it...pics up

Just out running my brushless TA 18T. Anyways, crashed it pretty hard at 50mph and the lipo I had in it got a little bit dented. Should I keep it? Here are some pics. As for now, i have it in an air tight steel ammo can on concrete. I'll see if it makes it through the morning. If it does, I'll more than likely take it to the hazardous materials department where I work and have them dispose of it for me. I already salvaged the connectors of it anyways for another 3s lipo that has weird connectors.

Any opinions?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've seen lipos accordianed pretty badly that still worked, ran and charged just fine. As long as its not punctured anywhere and is not swollen (puffed) - this just looks bent or bowed. I'd explore using it.

You can bend it back into shape. I'd look it over carefully looking for punctures (although, think if it was punctured, you'd already know it...). If its same as you left it when you check in am and it didn't leak anything, check voltage and if thats ok, I'd at least try to charge it. If it charges ok, I'd put connection back on and use it.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Only thing is that I cut them pretty close. That would be a pain in the ass to solder back on.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well it's been 2.5 hours and the lipo is fine. As far as I'm concerned it's fine. I just cut the balancing plug way to close and I wouldn't want to accidentally hit the lipo with a solder iron and set it up in flames. I only paid $20 for it anyways so I'll just get my other lipo working well and buy another quality one if I need another one. It'll probably be a 4 cell anyways since I'm probably going to get a brushless 1/10
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I would just keep an eye on it so far and be careful. It's not worth blowing up your truck
Old 09-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

I know. I'm just going to take it to the HAZMAT place where I work and dispose of it. A $20 blowing up a $400 18th scale truck wouldn't be nice.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:07 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Unfiortunate, you may have trashed a useable lipo. When I salvage before disposal, I cut about half way and make one longer than other so the wires can't touch.