Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Servo centering (Digital) it wont 0 every time? >

Servo centering (Digital) it wont 0 every time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Servo centering (Digital) it wont 0 every time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default Servo centering (Digital) it wont 0 every time?

I went from a JR Z590 servo to a Hitec HS-5965MG servo. as I understand it the Digital servos always try to find center. I got the servo in TX at 0 trim's and everything streight. when I turn the wheels (with tires or on setup station) it dosn't always go back to Center, 0 deg, or streight. what ever you wana call it. its sometimes 1-3 deg either way and the servo "Whines" im guessing its trying to find 0. how do I get it to come back to 0 every time if posible or do I need the programer to do that?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

it could be:

1. you have binding somewhere in your steering, does the car steering turn freely with the servo disconnected?

2. the servo sensor is bad and it can't find center, repair/replace

3. your servo saver is weak and it doesn't return correctly, tighten it or get a stronger one

4. your transmitter steering pot is bad, repair/replace

let's hope it is number 1!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I hope its only #1 the servo is new. 1 day old
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I was just going to post the same thing. Wednesday I bought a 7950HT to replace the 590 that came with my RTR. The JR could acceptably find center (slight drift either way) but the Hitec just wont do it. Sometimes it's way off and sometimes it's right on. There were no changes to the front end before swapping the servo so I'm betting it's the servo but I'm hoping I'm wrong
Old 09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

I hate to say this but from my experience Hitec servos do have problem centering. Thats why i never use them anymore. Maybe its just me, but i had lots of Hitec servos (digital and analog) before, some were good from new but after some time they just wont center, some I had that problem from the first time using it. I think they potentiometer inside their servos are not as good a the other top brands.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dameetz
I hate to say this but from my experience Hitec servos do have problem centering. Thats why i never use them anymore. Maybe its just me, but i had lots of Hitec servos (digital and analog) before, some were good from new but after some time they just wont center, some I had that problem from the first time using it. I think they potentiometer inside their servos are not as good a the other top brands.
I had this happen on two previous Hitec servos years ago but they werent of this caliber. Sure hoping I find a problem with the car today.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

This happened to a Hitec 945 I have. Bought it used... live and learn.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Company Representative

The only way to truely know if there is a centering issue is to look at the servo horn with nothing connected. It is normal for the wheels not to return to center if then are on the ground with the car sitting still due to the friction of the tires on the ground at a minimum. It is also important to use the shortest horn possible on the servo and set the EPA on the radio maximum... if you use a longer horn and then reduce the EPA then smaller movements of the servo affect the wheels more thus reducing your resolution.

Hitec makes servos at all different levels so it is not uncommon that the less expensive models will not center as well as the higher end models. I seriously doubt the 7950TH is not centering properly; it's most likely another cause.

FYI: Adam Drake uses the new 7950's in his buggy and truggy, but before that used the 7955TG and 7965MG's. If you think these servos are not on par or better than anything else out there... think again. Adam chose to use the Hitec's because he was having so many failures with other brands. Brian Kinwald now uses Hitec servos excusivly as well.

Mike.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

For me the problem was an incorrect servo insert (8ight servo horn). The JR insert felt like the right one but it wasnt. Once I got the right horn on the servo it centered perfectly. I raced with it on Saturday and it was flawless all night (wish I could say the same for my driving). Very happy with the servo thus far (7950TH). Just wish the 7940 shipped out earlier so I could have bought one of them as well

Thanks for the tip on using the shortest horn possible, that makes a lot of sense!
Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default my servo to

i had that problem with my slash and my trim was off check your trim