Search

Lipo-no power-wont charge

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default Lipo-no power-wont charge

I have a Turnigy 3000mah Lipo 11.1v 20/30c
It will not charge and has no power at all.????????????
im stumped
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Need more info on how and what your charging with. The settings of your charger and alerts or error reading from your charger.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Check voltage on the main power leads and then check the voltage using the balance connection. You may have a main power wire thats pulled off or broken off a cell tab - that would show no voltage on main power leads, but you should be able to see voltage on the balance connection.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:36 AM
Suspended

No there are no ballance leads or main leads broken. I am using an Onyx 230 charger and my rustler has a mamba max esc and medusa 4800 motor. I have low voltade set to 3.5 on the mamba max. I tried touching something to the negative and positive side of the battery to see if it would ark and nothing happend.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:58 AM
Tech Lord

The break would be inside the pac, under the shrink, you wouldn't see it and may not be able to feel it by pulling on the wire either. I guess you don't have a cheapie dvm - need to borrow one and check voltage using the balance connection. If the voltage across the balance connection shows voltage in both cells, it has to be a prob with main power wires if they show no voltage.

Lipos just doesn't go to 0.0volts.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Suspended

I peeled the shrink back to look at the connections and everything was solid, no breaks in the wires anywhere. It is also reading no voltage on a meter. I am like you I have never heard of a Lipo battery going to 0 volts. I just can not understand this.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

With practices like trying to short the battery to check for arcing then it really comes to no surprise to me that it has 0V. Lipo should NEVER under any circumstances be shorted like that.
Some of those packs have a small PCB inside to ease assembly. Any small short could damage the board. But really without a DVM you are pretty much chasing your tail.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by burnineyes
With practices like trying to short the battery to check for arcing then it really comes to no surprise to me that it has 0V. Lipo should NEVER under any circumstances be shorted like that.
Some of those packs have a small PCB inside to ease assembly. Any small short could damage the board. But really without a DVM you are pretty much chasing your tail.
If you dont have an answer dont post.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That was an answer, the printed circuit board inside the pack may have been damaged. I had one that did the exact same thing. I repaired it by opening the shrink, finding the tiny burnt spot on the board, scraping off the solder mask(green stuff), make sure all the burnt material is gone as it can be conductive, then re-connect the burnt circuit with solder. This takes a lot of patience and very careful work, but it can be done.

Im sorry if I came across as condescending, but shorting a Lipo is very dangerous and is never ever recommended.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by burnineyes
That was an answer, the printed circuit board inside the pack may have been damaged. I had one that did the exact same thing. I repaired it by opening the shrink, finding the tiny burnt spot on the board, scraping off the solder mask(green stuff), make sure all the burnt material is gone as it can be conductive, then re-connect the burnt circuit with solder. This takes a lot of patience and very careful work, but it can be done.

Im sorry if I came across as condescending, but shorting a Lipo is very dangerous and is never ever recommended.
I fixed the battery one of the solder joints on the board broke so i resoldered and now everthing is good. I did not to come off as with an attitude either was just frustrated battery was a day old.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Lord

OK, that makes more sense, broken connection explains why there was 0 voltage.

This kind of prob is not uncommon with HC lipos.