Wiki Posts
Search

My very first time soldering I dont know how I did

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default My very first time soldering I dont know how I did

OK so I soldered up my t4 today and well it went ok I guess. it could look better but if its on there it will run. couple questions though.

I had to hook 2 wires to one tab so I soldered them together and them put it on the tab but only on wire is on there, is that ok if they are connected?

For the above question, its on there good so it wont come off but it looks like it could be on there a little better, will i notice a decrease in performance?

the positive and negatives are apart from eachother but should i worry about them maybe sparking together and something happening?

Then the last thing is the 2 negatives are close to a screw on the motor but not touching, is that bad?

Again this is my first try doing this so I just want to make sure I am doing it right thanks a lot
Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

It would be best if we had a picture to go by. First solder can be tough, but after awhile you will be a pro! As far as soldering your wire to another wire before soldering to the connector, thats how I do it. Just cut back a small amount of insulation and solder directly to the wire, then cover with shrink tube. If the wire is not all the way on the connector, but it is on enough to not come loose with repeated tugging, then you will not notice any loss of power unless you are running a serious power system. If you have connectors or exposed wire touching anything, I would find a way to cover them, as a short can be dangerous. Keep it up and your joints will start looking better and better.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

the positive and negatives are apart from eachother but should i worry about them maybe sparking together and something happening?

As long as they aren't physicaly touching they won't "spark together" you're not going to get a static charge effect going on.

And yes, give us a picture.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

I tried taking a pic but nothing turns out good. But I looked again they are connected and not touching anything. The only thing one is close to is a screw on the motor but its not touching so i should be fine.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

An alternative to soldering two different wires to one post... is to use a SINGLE wire, stip off a 1/8th inch section of sheilding on the middle of the wire, tin it, then solder that exposed section to the post. Then you can run both ends of the wire to different things. I used to do this when I ran 3 post speedos and needed the + to go to the battery AND the + terminal of a brushed motor.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

thanks for the ideas
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

like the other people say once you get the hang of it its very easy. The first time i soldered was horrible now they look pretty good.