Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Any thoughts on the Racers Edge Surecharge 2000? >

Any thoughts on the Racers Edge Surecharge 2000?

Any thoughts on the Racers Edge Surecharge 2000?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Any thoughts on the Racers Edge Surecharge 2000?

I was looking on the web site after seeing it on amainhobies. I have some questions.

amainhobbies .com/product_info.php/products_id/33883

I read the instruction manual, it read like it was straight out of a Bantum manual, many sections read word for word. (I read manuals online when I can when researching purchases)

Same features, usb connectivity, fast charge/storage modes, etc etc.

So the question is, is it a rebranded Bantum, or a knock off? It seems like a great charger for a bit cheaper. Rebranded would be great. If its a knock off, its not as cheap as some of the china made knock offs on hobbycity. But, if its of a better quality build, I don't mind paying $40 more for piece of mind and the included adapters/temp probe.

Also, it says that it is 50w max charge, like an AC/DC charger, but most DC only chargers can handle more. It has an external power supply with it, I am curious to know if the 50w rating is due to the included small "brick" style power supply. If so, you could use a higher output power supply with it? Unless the programing is the same as an AC/DC style charger meaning it wouldn't allow it no matter the power supply. (it has inputs for connecting straight to a battery, could that increase total charge watts?)
Old 04-08-2009, 05:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

No expert on Bantams but th eone the surecharge looks most like is $50 cheaper. I'd guess knock off. Those are pouring out of Asia atm, seems like a handful a week. 50watts is popular so I'd also geuees there are components inside that will fail if pushed substantially more than 50watts. If what has caught you attention is the case and a squid multi-connector - you're paying for it, its a $100 charger selling with extras for $135.

Look at the 0610i Hyperion charger, its 250watt DC powered charger and does it all. 250watts charging power will charge a lot of battery - handles my 5S1P and 6S1P a123 pacs at 10amps -charged and balanced in about 20min.

Drop in on RCGroups.com and check the extensive battery/charger thread. If anyone knows answer to your question, it'll prob be over there. They seem to have enough posters, can find new charger reviews over there.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

I found one online that looked identical just different badgeing, for $99. I can just buy an adapter. I really like the hyperion and bantam chargers, for the built in balancer. The bantam just edges out the hyperion due to usb connectivity, and easier to read manual, but it costs a bit more. (good manual is always a plus, just in case) I prefer the AC/DC style because of not needing a power supply. I hate to lug around extra stuff, and pay extra to get it. My friend has a MRC 989 that is great and came with a PS, but no balancer. So I'm torn between the other two.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The AC/DC chargers will pretty much be limited to 50-70watts which is not a prob its just longer charge times. As far as USB connectivity, my 0610i connects to my laptop via USB where I can monitor and record all charge details, including amps, time, voltages of batt, PS, and individual cells and batt temps.

I've done several firmware upgrades to the charger via USB increasing the utility of the charger- last upgrade added option to elect 1C thru 5C lipo charge rates as an example.

I'm, not familar with Bantams - when you say connectivity, are the Bantams doing more via USB?

As far as the power supply goes, its an extra piece only at the house. In the field, I run off a car batt if I need too and thats thru a power tap inside the car, I don't even have to raise the hood.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

The hyperion AC/DC charger doesn't have usb, but all the other models do. All the bantams have usb. I'm thinking I may get 6010 plus a power supply. As far as "out in the field", thats the back yard, Got about 400x100 yard area to run in. Even going to build a track back there.

Last edited by marine6680; 04-09-2009 at 07:54 PM.