Fried my Venom Pro charger tonight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fried my Venom Pro charger tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Fried my Venom Pro charger tonight.

Tonight I was balance charging some of my Orion 3800 packs and walked across my living room to where the charger and lipo bag were with the battery was to check on it. I wanted to push the increase button to see how the individual cells were doing and when I reached for the button a nice static shock jumped from my finger to the case and the display went dead. I unplugged the charger and waited a minute then plugged it back in and the display is still dead and nothing responds. The only thing that happens when I plug it in is the backlight lights up.

Guess it's time to buy a better charger and always make sure I discharge myself before touching my chargers.

SIGH
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Warranty

Theres no reason a charger should short out like that from a little static. <ost of the time it is unavoidable.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

^^^ +1, def warranty claim, there's no reason you should lose the display over a little static electricity.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I disagree. The electronic circuit boards in there probably run on a few volts only. STatic electricity runs in the 10s of thousands of volts. Static electricity will kill any circuit board dead as a door nail. Working in an I.T deparment for the better part of 10 years, I can't TELL you how many laptops I have seen fried, because somebody static shocked the back panel of the computer where the serial port sticks out. 1 zap, and the motherboard is gone. I can't imagine the circuit boards in a charger are any different, and there is no way it will be covered under warranty.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'd still make Venom say no on a warranty claim.......these have not been trouble free by any stretch of the imagination.

If this is a big deal, amazing its never mentioned in any manual. I've got Ice, Team Checkpoint 1030, Hyperion 0610i, Accucell-6 and a DTX Piranha chargers and I've read the manuals. I've not seen any mention of potential danger from static electricity. Not saying its not potential for damage, but why no warning?

There should be a warning.....
Old 04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

close to the same thing happened to me. The screen went blank. Called up Venom got a RMA number sent it in..they sent it a brand new one back. Call them up and get a RMA