Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
LiPo cutoffs that DON"T cut the power? >

LiPo cutoffs that DON"T cut the power?

LiPo cutoffs that DON"T cut the power?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default LiPo cutoffs that DON"T cut the power?

I really don't understand the idea behind LiPo cutoffs that alert you by intermittently cutting the power from the battery. For one thing, my FASST radio system needs a second after the power's turned on before it starts working, so having a cutoff that turns the power off and on would basically shut the truck off. For another, I know that with my luck the cutoff would kick in halfway down the backstraight, leaving my truck parked in the fastest section of the track and just begging to get blasted by another truck at full throttle.

One guy I saw had a cutoff from some place in the UK, can't remember what it was called, but when everything was normal it displayed a bright blue LED. Once the pack got into the danger zone, the blue LED would turn off and a red one would turn on. The only time the cutoff would actually kill the truck is if the voltage got too close to that 6v "death zone".

A little siren would work too, if the truck would start beeping loudly if the battery started to run out of juice. Seriously, why can't I find anything like this?
Old 04-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I really don't understand the idea behind LiPo cutoffs that alert you by intermittently cutting the power from the battery. For one thing, my FASST radio system needs a second after the power's turned on before it starts working, so having a cutoff that turns the power off and on would basically shut the truck off. For another, I know that with my luck the cutoff would kick in halfway down the backstraight, leaving my truck parked in the fastest section of the track and just begging to get blasted by another truck at full throttle.

One guy I saw had a cutoff from some place in the UK, can't remember what it was called, but when everything was normal it displayed a bright blue LED. Once the pack got into the danger zone, the blue LED would turn off and a red one would turn on. The only time the cutoff would actually kill the truck is if the voltage got too close to that 6v "death zone".

A little siren would work too, if the truck would start beeping loudly if the battery started to run out of juice. Seriously, why can't I find anything like this?

Xrc magazine reveiwed a failsafe like that a little while back now. It was in the section where readers get to reveiw a product and that little beeping fail safe thingy was in it.

Sorry that's all i got
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Apogee makes the Loud Obnoxious Alarm (LOA). I wouldn't trust a siren though. I can barely hear my radio beeping two feet from my ears during a race, I doubt I hear something beeping on my truck as it wizzed past.

http://pfmdistribution.com/secure/sh...y.asp?catid=48
Old 04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I'm not sure the Novak Smart Stop would cause those probs with your radio - guess it depends on exactly what Novaks "blipping" or "interrupting" the throttle really is duration wise. It may be switching on/off it faster than FAAST will react to, but I don't know. It does also trigger a "ultra-bright blue LED".

Maybe worth chasing down Novak2 to ask?

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/li...ule/index.html
Old 04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

If the ESC cut off works like they do for the model aircraft, it's not cutting power from the battery but cutting power to the motor only.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Those blinking light LVC's, are the only ones, that I have found to work for my Slash. They have no effect on the 4PK's Fasst system.