Wiki Posts
Search

Sintered Neodymium rotor

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default Sintered Neodymium rotor

Bit random but...

Just wondering what "Sintered Neodymium rotor" actually means in terms of how it affects a motor, i've gathered that it's obviously what the rotor is made out of or partially made out of but i don't know what it does.
I've seen it a few times and i wanted to know if it really does make a difference or is it just a "I'll give it a really cool name to make people think that it's much better"?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by Limerick91
Bit random but...
Just wondering what "Sintered Neodymium rotor" actually means in terms of how it affects a motor, i've gathered that it's obviously what the rotor is made out of or partially made out of but i don't know what it does. I've seen it a few times and i wanted to know if it really does make a difference or is it just a "I'll give it a really cool name to make people think that it's much better"?

Thanks.
Found this on our TeamNovak website:

Sintered Magnet Rotors: Sintered magnets are a type of ceramic composed of compressed Neodymium-Iron-Boron powder. Sintering involves the compaction of fine alloy powder in a die, and then fusing the powder into a solid material with heat. While the sintered magnets are solid, their physical properties are more similar to a ceramic, and are easily broken and chipped. Sintered NdFeB magnets are generally plated or coated with Nickel-Copper-Nickel plating to prevent corrosion. Nickel-Copper-Nickel plating has excellent corrosion resistance and durability as well as providing a clean and shiny appearance. Magnets used in Novak motors are high-energy 30 MGOe, and high temperature materials.

And, bonded rotors:

Bonded Magnet Rotor: A recent development in magnetic materials is the high-energy polymer bonded magnet. Magnetic powder, namely neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB), is blended with polymer and injection molded to form complex shapes. A maximum magnetic energy level of 12 MGOe is attainable with bonded magnets. The biggest shortcoming of bonded magnets is the low operating temperatures.

Glossary of Terms
Old 02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
Found this on our TeamNovak website:

Sintered Magnet Rotors: Sintered magnets are a type of ceramic composed of compressed Neodymium-Iron-Boron powder. Sintering involves the compaction of fine alloy powder in a die, and then fusing the powder into a solid material with heat. While the sintered magnets are solid, their physical properties are more similar to a ceramic, and are easily broken and chipped. Sintered NdFeB magnets are generally plated or coated with Nickel-Copper-Nickel plating to prevent corrosion. Nickel-Copper-Nickel plating has excellent corrosion resistance and durability as well as providing a clean and shiny appearance. Magnets used in Novak motors are high-energy 30 MGOe, and high temperature materials.

And, bonded rotors:

Bonded Magnet Rotor: A recent development in magnetic materials is the high-energy polymer bonded magnet. Magnetic powder, namely neodymium-iron-boron (NdFeB), is blended with polymer and injection molded to form complex shapes. A maximum magnetic energy level of 12 MGOe is attainable with bonded magnets. The biggest shortcoming of bonded magnets is the low operating temperatures.

Glossary of Terms
Hmm, guess that kinda sums it up :P

Thanks.