Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedpassion GT stripped heat sink

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Speedpassion GT stripped heat sink

I have a speedpassion GT ESC. I believe the heat sink is permanently attached to the ESC and can't be replaced. The heat sink is fully stripped and I can't hold the fan to the heat sink with the standard size screws anymore. I know I can use a bigger screw to retread the heat sink but that destroys the heat sink further and it certainly looks ugly. Any tips out there on the possible solution to this? No, I don't want to superglue the fan to the heat sink either.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Tech Adept

Try it without the fan, I know several people that run 17.5 & 13.5 and don't use the fan.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dave Barber
Try it without the fan, I know several people that run 17.5 & 13.5 and don't use the fan.
I have 2 SP ESCs. One running a 6.5 and another a 5.5.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its expensive, but helicoil would repair the HS and let you use orig size screws.

You could try using loctite to hold the screws in the stripped out holes too, just make sure the screws and holes are clean and give it overnight to set up and cure. You'd have to experiment and see if the medium (blue) has enough temp capability to stand the esc's temps. If it does that'd be ideal since medium is easy to deal with. If it takes red loctite, thats going to be semi-permanent. I know red would do it, but it wouldn't be my 1st choice since its near permanent.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Heat

Actually a better place to put the fan is pointed toward the solder posts. That is where you get the most heat. I have mine mounted next to the speedo blowing on the solder posts. The fan is not needed unless you run some pretty hot motors.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Go to http://www.racing-cars.com/usa/main....es=contactpage and get the ph number to Schumacher USA, who distributes the SP line. Adam or Shawn may have a HS you can buy. If you have a spare, the original HS is easy to remove; however it will void your warranty as it requires you open the case. It is loosly attached with double sided tape.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I need to try the loctite method first. If that doesn't hold on to it, then I have to change the HS.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hope it works out.