R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Rx Pack (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/270742-rx-pack.html)

SirKarnage 01-26-2009 04:40 PM

Rx Pack

Just got a RX pack from an ad here...
described as "used 4 times" and by the picture and actual received item.. looks as good as described.. No problems there...

Unfortunately once I put it on the charger, it only reads as 4 cells, and charged up to 5.78v .. ( I charged at 1.0a) .. I let it sit awhile, .. I then put it back on at 5.0a for a few minutes to see if I could pop it back to life.. no luck... I dishcarged at 0.5a, recharged at 1.6a (its a 1600 pack) ... It still only reads as 4 cells, and tops charge at 5.89v now..

Is it toast?
Can it be brought back? if so, how?

Thanks for any assistance..

lil-bump 01-26-2009 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by SirKarnage (Post 5345653)
Just got a RX pack from an ad here...
described as "used 4 times" and by the picture and actual received item.. looks as good as described.. No problems there...

Unfortunately once I put it on the charger, it only reads as 4 cells, and charged up to 5.78v .. ( I charged at 1.0a) .. I let it sit awhile, .. I then put it back on at 5.0a for a few minutes to see if I could pop it back to life.. no luck... I dishcarged at 0.5a, recharged at 1.6a (its a 1600 pack) ... It still only reads as 4 cells, and tops charge at 5.89v now..

Is it toast?
Can it be brought back? if so, how?

Thanks for any assistance..

Does your charger give you the ability to change the cell count. Try changing the cell count to five and give it go. you might be able to save. If the pack get extremely hot then I would say it's toast.

Dave H 01-26-2009 07:01 PM

Perhaps a cell is dead, needs to be replaced?? Check volts of each one. I would suggest before hammering it again.

SirKarnage 01-27-2009 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by lil-bump (Post 5346447)
Does your charger give you the ability to change the cell count. Try changing the cell count to five and give it go. you might be able to save. If the pack get extremely hot then I would say it's toast.

Yea, I even tried that.. still nothing.. It got very "warm" not what I would consider over charged "Hot"..

Originally Posted by Dave H (Post 5346509)
Perhaps a cell is dead, needs to be replaced?? Check volts of each one. I would suggest before hammering it again.

I believe one to be dead too.. I really didn't want to have to go through that.. I am pretty good at soldering, but to open a practically brand new pack to replace a cell is annoying, in both need and appearance.

Stickman!! 01-27-2009 05:05 PM

I would say from your description that one of the cells is dead. This happens because the cells are not matched when the pack is assembled. The pack fully discharges and causes the weakest one to fail.

Check out the receiver packs on the Stickman RC Products website. They are matched and hand soldered. You can get them at www.amainhobbies.com and www.modhobby.com search stickman from their search box.:):)

www.stickmanrc.com