Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Upgrade choice M8 w/Spek Pro VS DX3R >

Upgrade choice M8 w/Spek Pro VS DX3R

Upgrade choice M8 w/Spek Pro VS DX3R

Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Upgrade choice M8 w/Spek Pro VS DX3R

Hello i am looking to get some info based on others experiences. I have been racing for over 20 years now and the evolution in technology is just simply amazing. I have been away from regular racing for a while but am getting back into it again with my 7 year old son. When I got out the radio set up to have was the M8 with the novak switch and novak synth RX's. The new spektum stuff is now the stuff to have based on racer feedback and on track popularity. I absolutely love the way the M8 feels in my hand ( i've owned a lot of radios in the past from most of the popular company's and the M8 is the most comfortable for me) I will primarily race offroad electric in the popular classes. Now my questions and needs...

1) Will I have to rebind the TX and RX each time I switch models with the M8 spek pro, as I understand the Dx3r will just turn on and keep the existing bind with the prebinded RX. So just select the model and turn on the car and start racing.

2) Are there any range or interference benefits with either system?

3)PRICE!!! With my son racing now I have to buy 2 of everything I don't mind spending good money but having my son drop (and any parents out there know this WILL happen... not an IF) a new $300 plus radio makes me cringe!

4) DSM2,DSM1 the DX3R is reverse compatible with dsm, but dsm2 RX won't work with DSM1 TX.

5) My goal is to have both of us on DSS but we can drive any car in our fleet
with just selecting the model and turning it on. Remember my boy is 7 years old the KISS method is of prime importance!!!

i hope I have not lost all of you now but I konw that I am not the first to cross this bridge please fell free to give feedback good or bad and opinions are welcome
Old 01-19-2009, 03:06 AM
Tech Regular

hi motor'n,

since you love the way, your M8 handles, why don't you buy a M11 DSSS for yourself and pass the older M8 to your son? You could buy a second set of the Airtronics DSSS TX module and receiver for the old M8 and you are both ready to rock.
Anyway, I think, it's impossible to bind a receiver to more than one Tx at once. You will have to rebind before you're going to use your son's vehicle. But with the Sanwa/Airtronics stuff it's really simple, you even don't need a binding plug like those spektrums.

Just my 2ct...
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm using the M8 with Spektrum Module, and SR3500 micro receiver. You can bind the receiver to it, and then if you change model it will go to another different bound receiver. I'm using it for my TC5 and Shark, with two different receivers on the one radio.

No need to rebind when you turn on and off if you keep the same model selected.

My brother has the DX3S (similar to DX3R) and the process is the same. Bind for the model, then switch model on radio if you want to use a different receiver which you bind.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

my new m11 has sat for almost 1.5yrs as i just cant let my m8 go.

vote of confidence?

R
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The DX3R is nice for small hands and it's LIGHT. But that's alot of money to put in a 7 year old's hands.

How important is price? How worried are you that he'll drop the radio and break it?

You could look on Ebay for the older style Spektrum radios like the DX2. Or maybe even the DX2.0. They're MUCH cheaper and the older DX2 is smaller and probably more suitable to a smaller kid.

You could really cheap out and get the 2.4Ghz Losi radios that people part out. They usually go for all of $35 on Ebay and they'll bind to Spektrum DSM receivers just fine. They're also small and light. But they don't have end-point adjustment. This could be risky if you run digital servos.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you for all your feedback and comments. I have been in contact on the Dx3r thread as well. They have given me some great info on their products. I really like airtronics products. They have been good to me in the past and the feel of them is why i keep buying. But with airtronics being so proprietary with their stuff and sales it seems that now is the time to start looking for other options. Spektrum is by far the most popular at the tracks I frequent. It is not like in the past where you could buy any 75 or 27mh receiver that you could get a deal on if you needed a extra reciever. With the way things are now you MUST be brand specific!!! The days of mixing brands has gone so I am looking to buy the most convenient and economical, not to mention upgradeability and supportability system out there. To get my son in on this as well is the real problem because of dsm1 vs dsm2 vs fhss vs mfss. have any of you experienced the "lag" of any of these systems? Or any dsm based compatibility issues?