R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   DSM vs DSM2 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/263290-dsm-vs-dsm2.html)

teeforb 12-29-2008 04:28 PM

DSM vs DSM2

Hey GUys, with the DSM2 out, will DSM fade out and be no longer supported. I have about 4 cars on DSM on one radio. I am seeing all this DSM2, which can not be used with DSM. I am getting a little learly. I don't wanna have to change my spektrum setup for a new one!!! that's 4 receivers and a module!!! what's the deal?

also, the DSM2 has a different antenna. You have to be A LOT more careful with it then the older DSM antennas.

sharkman 12-29-2008 05:08 PM

A dsm2 radio will be able to use older dsm receivers. You can't however use the dsm2 rec with a older radio. Make sense.

I would not worry about it being phased out. Don't worry about dsm2 unless you have to have a new radio. Anyone who can tell the difference in between the speed of either is blowing smoke. Manufacturers always need to push the envelope and make things better. They also know that we as rc fanatics will probably buy the latest and greatest.

myrxseven 12-29-2008 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sharkman (Post 5223172)
A dsm2 radio will be able to use older dsm receivers. You can't however use the dsm2 rec with a older radio. Make sense.

I would not worry about it being phased out. Don't worry about dsm2 unless you have to have a new radio. Anyone who can tell the difference in between the speed of either is blowing smoke. Manufacturers always need to push the envelope and make things better. They also know that we as rc fanatics will probably buy the latest and greatest.

Exactly!

The DX3R running on DSM2 has a refresh rate of 5.5miliseconds.
The DX3S running on DSM has a refresh rate of 11.5milliseconds.

Not many, if at all are gonna notice the 6milliseconds going from either radio!

teeforb 12-29-2008 06:55 PM

okay, thanks!!!

atpracing 12-29-2008 08:12 PM

I just purchased the DX3S last Friday. I tried a few of the high end radio's and did a bit of reading before I bought one. I was torn between the DX3S and DX3R. What actually made up my mind was all of the Nitro features on the S model as well as it comes with TWO recievers.

I wouldnt trade it for anything. A lot of features as well.

Mike

myrxseven 12-29-2008 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by atpracing (Post 5224169)
I just purchased the DX3S last Friday. I tried a few of the high end radio's and did a bit of reading before I bought one. I was torn between the DX3S and DX3R. What actually made up my mind was all of the Nitro features on the S model as well as it comes with TWO recievers.

I wouldnt trade it for anything. A lot of features as well.

Mike

For me, the wheel and the trigger is 10x better than the dx3r's!