Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Novak GTX Shuts Down >

Novak GTX Shuts Down

Novak GTX Shuts Down

Old 12-22-2008, 11:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Novak GTX Shuts Down

Heya. I've got a Novak GTX that seems to have a little problem. I'm running it in a Tamiya mini, Spektrum radio, with a stock Mabuchi silver can.

This past weekend, it shut down twice while racing. (5 miniute race, shut down seemed to occur around the 4 minute mark in both cases) The ESC wasn't hot. Wasn't even very warm at this point.

The ESC has been serviced by Novak recently for a similar problem, and they replace the power switch.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem? I like this ESC and want to keep it around.

Jim
Old 12-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Do you have a capacitor installed on your receiver? Try that, it can lead to the problem sometimes. By shut down, what exactly is happening? If you turn it off, and then back on does it start working?

Does it happen with a different motor?

Paul
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Never heard of a cap being installed on a receiver before. Where would one attach that?

By shut down I mean the car is bombing along, and just plain shuts down. No steering, no throttle, no lights on the ESC. Give it a minute and it fires back up. It sounds a lot like a thermal problem to me, but it's no where near hot, or even warm when this happens.

Haven't tried a different motor, but I do know this motor is good, and minis don't draw squat with a silver can.

I'll keep at it. I'll get it figured out.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Plug it into one of the slots on your receiver.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=NOV5626

Quite common for 2.4ghz, and explained on Spektrum's website as well.

Hmph, yeah, I'd also check the battery to ensure no broken solder joints. No steering sounds like it is losing power. GTX doesn't have any thermal shutdown from my experience. (I've blown up two that are sitting in my box to go off for repairs and backup incase I drop a brushed motor in for a stock race.)

Also, check wiring to make sure nothing is lose and the connection to the ESC are solid.