R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   High end radio = Better Driver? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/261441-high-end-radio-%3D-better-driver.html)

xpertpredator 12-20-2008 07:04 PM

High end radio = Better Driver?

Hey guys I am currently running a airtronics mx3fhss radio, and I have been told by a couple local drivers at my track that if I upgrade to a high end radio such as the spectrum dx3r or a airtronics m-11 that I will become a better drive because the higher end radios give you more "feel" when you are driving. I was just wondering if this is true? as I like my mx3fhss except for the fact that it drains batteries.

clamber 12-20-2008 07:07 PM

Are they on crack?

markus216 12-20-2008 07:21 PM

I have to agree with the local racers. I run the Futaba 3PK w/ Spektrum Modules, and surprizingly even when I went for the Spektrum DX2.0, there's such a difference. The DX2.0 didnt have a tenth of what my new radio has, i.e many more options. If you can upgrade, I would. It doesnt what radio it is, just that it has more options. I also like the "drop down" wheel the 3PK has:lol::lol::D

xpertpredator 12-20-2008 07:31 PM

Well I am relatively new still in rc and I haven't been even using all the options my mx3fhss has, but from what these guys are telling me they say that the feel of the higher end radios improves your driving because you can feel how the car is handling where as a low end radio is good. but lacks the "feeling input" that the higher radio provides. I hope this makes sense lol.

Jube 12-20-2008 07:45 PM

Is the "better" feeling radio going to keep you off the pipe and from being marshalled? Until you can do the Im not sure radio matters except if you TRULY know how to use its functions. The nice thing about the upper end radios is that you can fine tune the radio and car to your driving style.

markus216 12-20-2008 07:49 PM

I dont think Its as much "traction" or Keeping off the walls. But I do belive "Fine Tuning" will help the car handle better, steer better, and have more overall throttle control. If the car drives better, the user isnt frustrated b/c it woulnt turn all the way its supposed to and in turn, will stay off the wall more. Correct me if im wrong..:tire::spidey:

Jube 12-20-2008 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by markus216 (Post 5191312)
I dont think Its as much "traction" or Keeping off the walls. But I do belive "Fine Tuning" will help the car handle better, steer better, and have more overall throttle control. If the car drives better, the user isnt frustrated b/c it woulnt turn all the way its supposed to and in turn, will stay off the wall more. Correct me if im wrong..:tire::spidey:

I agree. I know my M11 has more crap than Heinz has pickles and Ive read the manual and still am not sure how to totally work it. So what im saying is that if you dont know how or what then it doesnt mean squat.

yeaklet4 12-20-2008 08:20 PM

the mx is plenty good has all the main stuff u need but yes there is a big time feel from low end radios to high end. but your is not really a low end radio

jamminnay 12-20-2008 08:58 PM

once you learn to keep it off the pipe start considering buying a higher end radio... i recommend the 3pk fasst!

IndyRC_Racer 12-20-2008 09:14 PM

If your current radio has end point adjustments, exponential, and speed adjustments save your money for practice/racing. A better radio is a good long term investment. See if the local "experts" will let you borrow their radios to see if it makes any difference in your laptimes.

In the meantime, resist the urge to buy anything just because the fast guys are using it.

iPearl 12-20-2008 09:31 PM

So a MX-3S is considered a low end radio ???

I been wondering this also the whole time !!!

Every one on the track i see or know started updating to $200+ Radios.

I mean when i look at mines i have digital trim and everything.
Some function i don't even understand yet
% on steering, invert and what not. Heck its synthesized which i love i can Dial to anythying i want in FM 75 No more pesky Crystals and so on.

Jason Pelletier 12-20-2008 11:15 PM

Absolutly there is more feel, the mx3 doesn't have expo which is something you would want.

but yea the racers are right and they recommended 2 great radios. I like the dx3r alot and i use a m11 that i love.

you get a feel for your car more with the high end radio. You gotta learn some feel first but yea you will be faster with a better radio.

when i went from a dx3.0 to m11 i shaved about .5 off my lap times.

iPearl 12-20-2008 11:53 PM

Are there any FM Synth Transmitter with EXPO ???
That don't cost your arms and legs ?

Jason Pelletier 12-21-2008 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by iPearl (Post 5192014)

M11 dsss is 299.99. i know it seems like alot but to me it is invaluable.

whitrzac 12-21-2008 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by iPearl (Post 5192014)

the JR xs3(same case has the DX3) has expo, and I think the 3pm does too