Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
High end radio = Better Driver? >

High end radio = Better Driver?

High end radio = Better Driver?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
Its not about the features or the screen at all. Most good radios will have all the settings you want--expo, subtrim, trims, EPA, dual rate. Its about the comfort and feel and about how the wheel and trigger feel. I have been through about 4 pro radios in the last year before finally settling on the m11. Its a very subtle thing but with the M11 your hand doesn't move as much, the trigger has a better shape and is a better location than any radio I have ever felt. The steering wheel is more progressive and has much less travel--your hand moves less. But as rb5 said--you will go faster when you find a radio that suits you--and its not because of the big fancy screen or tons of features--its how it feels and how the car reacts to teh controls.
amen brother. All about the feel !!!

don't listen to my opinion though..... cause i am slow...

But by all means if you are in a parking lot don't buy a high end radio. only if your a serious racer who wants to win races give it what it takes.

If you are just dabblin' in racing stick to a budget. although seeing is believing.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Suspended

Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

my 2 cents, even though the bank tells me it's worthless.

I'd say for parking lot fun or bashing it doesn't really matter.
But i started racing onroad sedan with the original spektrum dx3, then i upgraded to a ko helios with spektrum module. It significantly improved my lap times and i wouldn't go back.

Also a major decision making factor should the feel of the remote in your hand, even when it's off.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Addict

For many people if the radio does not feel good there is no feel for the car. Simple as that. Others may be able to adapt to anything, maybe their hands are as adaptable as Masami's feet.

But if you are going to get a high end radio, at least get one thats comfortable. My 2 favorites as far as feel, Nomadio Sensor, great radio, lots of features, plastic is sh#t. Go back 25 years to the Futaba Magnum Sr, don't understand how it felt so good but it did, BTW, that was before expo and everything was adjusted with a screwdriver in a pot. Both top of the line radios. Along the line I have used many others JR 756, R1, Z1, Futaba 3PK, Airtronics M8 and M11 and many others. All good radios. Right now I am using a Nomadio React. Hard to find a faster radio. Are my laptimes any faster with it, NO. Are there radios out there with more features, not many. I would drop back to a slower Sensor in a heartbeat if Nomadio would correct some of their issues, why, The Feel. Would I be faster, no, would I be happier, Yes.

Ed M.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Addict

Ko Proppo Ex-10 helios, features out the butt. Comfortable, if you want you can get the drop down unit for comfort (I have it). Its an awesome radio.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Warhawk 1 View Post
Ko Proppo Ex-10 helios, features out the butt. Comfortable, if you want you can get the drop down unit for comfort (I have it). Its an awesome radio.
I used a Helios for a while and think its probably the most comfortable radio around however I think the trigger has a bit too much space compared to the M11. The location of it is a bit off as well.

All the pro radios have the same or very similar features---the only differences are the screen size and the radios size, shape and feel
Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bentgear View Post
Would I be faster, no, would I be happier, Yes.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

I think if you buy a upper to medium level radio, once you become a driver that is consistent, the upper end radios will help you be even better/faster. If you are still at the board banging stage, the radio is not going to help.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Suspended

i had the stock radio that came with the muggy and it sucked...big time. got the futaba 3vcs for Christmas, what a difference. YES, it makes a difference in how good you drive. you can set it up in a way, that it is more forgiving...
just my two cents though...

thanks
G

p.s. i still have the traxxas stock e-maxx radio and the stock rc10b4 radio. both are 5 years old and still do there job...if those cheap radios last, i would assume that the expensive once do as well. its worth the investment...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Addict

got the futaba 3vcs for Christmas, what a difference. YES, it makes a difference in how good you drive. you can set it up in a way, that it is more forgiving...
And so we have at least 1 vote for stick over wheel. Anybody else use both types?

Ed M.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The MX3 isn't a bad radio. It has most the features most guys will need/use.
Arc (expo), EPA, Dual rates, reversing, multiple model memories, failsafe, plus a good price. Save your money and learn to drive. The only reason you should upgrade from your current radio right now is for feel. There's plenty of adjust ability in the one you have.

http://www.airtronics.net/manual/MX-3FHSS.pdf

I have the MX3 FHSS for my cars and buggies and a Futaba Super 8 for the planes, so yeah, I use stick radios.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Well, my driving skill has really improved now. As you guys said practice is what makes me faster. I am now considered one of the fastest guys at my local track. I have dealt my my mx-3fhss long enough I am tired of it draining batteries. I have put rechargeable ones in and normally have to recharge them twice a day when I am at the track. I am now gonna buy a new radio and am considering a few brands. I have held a couple radios at the track, and I really like the feel of the 3pk, but it looks weird, the M11 felt really bulky and somewhat foreign to me. I am also considering a JR z-1 as I have heard it is really comfortable. What do you guys suggest?
Old 01-25-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You have to recharge your bateries twice a day!? When they are fully charged are they around 12v and when you have to replace them are they at 9v? ex. I got a new set of batteries. They peaked at 12.4 volts. I ran them for over an hour in misc. places and then about an hour at the track. Now my batteries on my dx2.0 are at 12.1 volts.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Regular

the rechargeable don't go to 12v fully charged is 11.1 for me
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I will start off by saying that I am still not a good driver (racing for a year in march). I don't know if it was the radio or if I finally hit a learning curve where I started to notice things that I was doing wrong and what it was making the car do in return. my first radio was a dx2.0 I never really liked it (felt cheap) then I went to a 3pk (better feeling but the grip and trigger still did not fit me right, and I thought the trigger felt really weak and cheap) I then traded the 3pk for an m8. The first time I used it I drove noticeably better like I said above I can't say that the radio is why, but I know from experience that when I am on the stand I feel better now because I am comfortable holding the m8 (i dont have to keep in my mind that during a run I will have to be walking my hand up and down the grip trying to find a comfortable position ). So I will say that yes a high end radio will make you a better driver, but only if it feels better in your hands and makes you feel better on the stand. The same could be said about a cheap radio. You can get an m8, m11, or 3pk for a decent price on here and on ebay

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service