Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with my venom pro charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry need help with my venom pro charger

I bought the venom pro charger for my girlfriend when i bought her a e-maxx for christmas. the hobby store i drove to (4 hours away) ensured me its the best one they carry.. anyways i also bought the 4600mah nimh bateries ive tried to charge them several times they charge for 3-4 mins and say they are full. however when i put them in truck it dies after 3 mins if it starts at all. owners manual is completely useless to me. I'd greatly appretiate any help i can get on this
Old 12-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Try turning down the amps during charging or if possible use a car battery or other high-amp dc powersource. AC/DC chargers are notorious for false peaking when pushing maximum amps on AC current due to the weak power supplies the come with.

Try charging at 3.5-4 amps instead and see if that helps. Also, make sure you have selected NiMH on the charger.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The charger is false peaking as its termed - it is seeing what it thinks is the voltage rise it associates with charge termination and stops. This is pretty classic and happens typically in the 1st 3-5min of charging. Some chargers have a "peak delay" which lets the charger ignore this early peak and continue charging. Ice, Hyperion (some) and Team Checkpoint are some that have a peak delay setting. I set mine at 3min and do not have probs with false peaks.

If your charger does not have this feature, simply reset and charge again. When NIMH batts peak, they get warm - 120-130F, you'll know it. SO if it shuts down and the batts are not warm, charge it again.

I had anAC/DC charger that did this when pushing max amps, but found it was the circuit I had it on in the house - if anything else was turned on on that circuit when I was charging that voltage would fluctuate enough to cause a false peak. I moved it to another circuit in the house and never had prob again.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Default thank you

i lowered the charge rate to 4amps and it charged completely.. i would try the dc suggestion however its -5 now so im going to stay indoors. thanks again