Wiki Posts
Search

a few lipo questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default a few lipo questions.

i just got my first lipo (trakpower 4900) but there is a plastic rap around it. can i take it off? also when i balance cells i just want to have it right. when i balance cells if one sell is low or bad idk and the other is good, does this degrade the other cell making them equal?, or the worse cell goes back up. another question is what volts should the battery be at when it reaches a full charge? about 8.4 volts good?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
i just got my first lipo (trakpower 4900) but there is a plastic rap around it. can i take it off? also when i balance cells i just want to have it right. when i balance cells if one sell is low or bad idk and the other is good, does this degrade the other cell making them equal?, or the worse cell goes back up. another question is what volts should the battery be at when it reaches a full charge? about 8.4 volts good?

the smart charger will stop charging (or the charging rate will become close to zero) when you lipo is fully charged. your balancer will automatically balance the lipo cells so you don't need to worry about getting it right. what lipo charger are you using?

just charge through the balancer, when the charger says "complete" - you are all set! no need to worry about ANYTHING!!!! your are done!
Old 11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Lipo max cell voltage is 4.2v so a 2S (2 cell) fully charged lipo should be 8.4volts. You're asking about removing the clear shrink thats holds both cells together? You can remove it, but I wouldn't - its what protects and keeps the 2 cells together so they are like a single batt. The clear shrink also helps protect against punctures.

There are 2 kinds of balancers or balancing modes - active - which balances as lipo is charging and will work to give you cells with highest, equal voltage possible. Passive - balances after charging and merely discharges other cells down to lowest cell voltage. Active balancing gives you better charge.

Weak cells are usually only prob in cheaper lipo - trackpowers aren't cheap and the cells will not be off by much at all - prob could use them a bunch before even worrying about balancing.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HoaRC
the smart charger will stop charging (or the charging rate will become close to zero) when you lipo is fully charged. your balancer will automatically balance the lipo cells so you don't need to worry about getting it right. what lipo charger are you using?

just charge through the balancer, when the charger says "complete" - you are all set! no need to worry about ANYTHING!!!! your are done!
so your saying when i balance the cells, the cells automatically become to their best. im saying if one cell is low, it goes back up to what it should be? im using the ice

Last edited by not home; 11-22-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by not home
so your saying when i balance the cells, the cells automatically become to their best. im saying if one cell is low, it goes back up to what it should be? im using the ice
If you're using the Ice charger - you're not balancing cells. Ice has no internal balancer and requires a separate, additional balancer to do any balancing. Somehow you've gotten confused or I am readingthis wrong. I have and Ice and it has no balance function and does not balancing by itself.

This is a separate balancer that will work with Ice, there are others out there, but this is a good one -

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2916