Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Anybody ever solder new wires on there servo? >

Anybody ever solder new wires on there servo?

Anybody ever solder new wires on there servo?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Anybody ever solder new wires on there servo?

Well since I had nothing to do today I figured I would try to fix the broken up wires on my futaba s9551 servo with new ones I purchased from the local hobby shop.This is a pain in the butt and really should be left up to the futaba service guys or someone with alot of fine soldering experience and a good gun.I used my butane powered steinel gun.I could have really used a smaller tip and a smaller gun but made what I had work.The futaba wires come with this white silicon like subtance holding the wires in place and it also provides extra sealing from water I guess.I used liquid tape in place of this.Hope I don't mess these wires up.What gun did you use and what tip?The white silicon subtance was very strong do you know what it is called?Thanks

Old 09-09-2008, 04:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had similar experience with a Hitec servo recently, trying to shorten the wires to keep it all neat. Hitec's come with a white goop that looks like an opaque gel but is hard like rubbery glue (I don't know what it's called.) The iron I used was from Radio Shack and it has temp control but a fairly med/large tip. All-in-all not for the faint of heart, but is easier if you first scrape away the goop and then remove the wires. I put a dab of vaseline on parts where I removed the goop, but it's not a very good stress relief.

Last edited by BobbyS; 09-10-2008 at 02:22 PM.