Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How to tech a brushless motor? >

How to tech a brushless motor?

How to tech a brushless motor?

Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default How to tech a brushless motor?

Our local track is wanting to tech brushless motors and I am having a hard time figuring out how this works.
We have a microHenry meter (or, at least one of the settings is 200uH) but I am trying to check a LOSI 13.5 motor. The motor I am testing this on is not installed in a car. I place the probes on the tabs where the speed control wires get soldered to the motor. Between A&B is 38.0, B&C is 38.4, and A&C is 36.6. The ROAR approved sheet says it is supposed to be 19.2.

I just bought a LOSI 17.5 and right out of the box it was measuring almost double what the ROAR listing shows.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Posted from roar's approval list.

*NOTE: The minimum inductance spec figures in microHenries for each Stock or Super Stock motor have been listed for each motor manufacturer. These values directly correspond to the inspected number of turns on each slot of the particular stator design for that manufacturer. These values are provided for fast, accurate and simple field tech inspections, and do not reflect any performance differences between motor manufacturers.

19.2 is the lowest it can be but can be higher. are you testing with or without the rotor in the motor because that will also effect the readings you get you should always test without.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

That makes it really hard to tech a motor trackside as cars complete their races.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lapcounter
That makes it really hard to tech a motor trackside as cars complete their races.
this is true but it gives the best reading. I imagine it could be done without taking it apart but you would have to keep in mind the reading may not be completely correct.