Batteries swap in my cordless screwdriver >

Batteries swap in my cordless screwdriver

Batteries swap in my cordless screwdriver

Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Batteries swap in my cordless screwdriver

Sorry if this isn't 100% on topic.

I've got a cheap-o Chicago tools cordless screwdriver that worked pretty well until the NiCd batteries finally gave up the ghost and won't hold a charge. The driver contains four 600 mAh batteries all wired together (sorry, don't recall how). If I were to tear them out and solder in new batteries, could I go to rechargable NiMH at 2600mAh per battery (like the ones I use in my Tx)? Will the charger that came with it still work?

Advice and suggestions are appreciated!
Old 08-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

that sounds like it would work but u would need to find a new way to charge
Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

After buying 3 expensive, replacement NiCd pacs for my Sony cordless phone, I took the last set and cut the shrink off and built my own using 3 2200mah Powerex NiMhs. The orig AA sized NiCds were wired in series. The phone sits in a recharging cradle when not in use. Its been 4 yrs and ity works like a champ.

I can talk for well over two hrs and not hear the phone beep to tell you the batts close to finished - stock NiCds were good for about 40min. Its been great - my wife was very impressed at how well this has worked out.

If the charger is good enough for the orig nicds, its good enough for your new NiMhs. Just be aware it'll take longer to get close to a full charge with the big capacity change you'll be making.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Tech Champion

Ummm, the wife on the phone....anybody know of some LOWER capacity batteries?

Seriously, I think it would work fine. The lower charge rate would be easier on the batteries I think.

Back to the screwdriver, one of my inactive projects is to convert to a lipo. So it will hold charge, better for the occasional use. Not so good for providing an excuse to get out of the honey-do stuff.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wife on the phone - actually a good deal. When phone was having batt probs she was always on my case to go find/get a new batt pac. Now thats fixed, and she's on the phone with he girlfriends she's leaving me alone to work on my rc projects. Hehe....