Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Losi Lipo Battery Question >

Losi Lipo Battery Question

Losi Lipo Battery Question

Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Losi Lipo Battery Question

I bought 3 LOSB9820 Team Losi Li-Poly (7.4V/2000mAh) batteries using LOSB9608 Team Losi High Output Lipo Regulator w/ Switch for both 8ight b / t.

Last night I charged them using MRCRB989 MRC Super Brain 989 Pro AC/DC Peak Charger.

Profile was setup correcly and batteries seem to charge fine. I have a seperate battery meter and showed all 3 fully charged but only 1 of the batteries worked. Today the one still charges ok and works fine but thee other 2 get an error on the charger and meter, I can clear the error on the charger and after a few seconds it shows fully charged yet when I put the battery into my truggy I get about 1 second of servo movement then nothing else.

This battery has a balancer connector but did not see where it was required to charge it correctly. The charger I have does not have a connector for this balancer. Is it necessary to use the balancer?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

I'll answer this for anybody else having similar problems.

I called Horizon today and talked to the tech there. I was told that the balancer is not required but would help with the life of the battery.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Although a lot of people use the MRC 989 for LiPo batteries... There was however some question as to how well the internal volt meters worked in some MRC chargers to the point to where Orion does not even recommend using ANY of the MRC charger with their products...

MRC in my opinion has never had a good quality product. I have known so many folks over the years that purchased their chargers based on price to get disappointed later by it's failure.

Just a thought..

Jerome
Old 08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Initiate

*Vent* it's ridiculous how many different types of connectors / adapters there are for batteries and chargers! Cant they come up with a universal standard already?? *vent over*

After spending all day trying to figure out how to get a balancer to work with these Losi Lipo batteries (3 pin adapter unique to Losi and TP) I finally got a solution.

Here is the balancer and adapter you can use

AST106 Astro Flight Blinky Lithium Battery Balancer
AST549 Astro Flight Blinky To Thunder Power Adaptor

And here is a picture of how it looks