Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Charger choise and breaking in batteries. >

Charger choise and breaking in batteries.

Charger choise and breaking in batteries.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Charger choise and breaking in batteries.

Soon i will be running Ener-g cells and I have a question. How to properly brake in battery i have equalizer, charger up to 6.5 amps and some other stuff.

And can`t decide with which charger to go LRP Pulsar 3 or Much More Silent Charger. Im 60% on Much More side, because it charges more LiPo, has exchangeable plugs and that could come in handy sometime.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i like the pulsar 3 and they both do lipo

And i have never heard of breaking in a battery but 6 or 6.5 amps is a pretty good amperage
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think I understand what you mean by breaking in a battery...

It is probably a good idea to "cycle" the pack a few times if it is a NiMh. Meaning, charge and then discharge it by running it or on a 20amp draw. This will help get it used to the harsh charge/discharge it will undergo for r/c racing.

A lot of packs will not display their true numbers until it is used several times. Nothing worse than spending $50 to $100 on a pack and during a race have it dump on you when it should last you almost 2 races worth of time! Watch for false peaking during the initial charging as well... At 5amp (my personal preference) a 4200mah NiMh pack will take about 45min to charge.

Jerome
Old 08-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thats good advice. I prefer to charge at closer to 5.5 amps cause I think it gives a little extra punch but it's kinda a personal preference thing. I'm currently running Promatch Ener-g 4600's and they are good cells. I'd throw them on a discharge tray though to make sure they're balanced before you put them on a discharger cause they do have a tendency to come unbalanced.