Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
temporary AM radio setup for 1/8 nitro buggy......will I be safe?? >

temporary AM radio setup for 1/8 nitro buggy......will I be safe??

temporary AM radio setup for 1/8 nitro buggy......will I be safe??

Old 06-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)
Default temporary AM radio setup for 1/8 nitro buggy......will I be safe??

I am in need of using an AM radio until a couple weeks when I get my dx3r.........I just got new rc8 and mill, and want to get some practice laps in at new track that was just built. However, I have heard nightmarish stories about runaways and other shit with using AM and nitro.....LMK your thoughts, as I dont want my rc8 and new servos/mill destroyed, I have no fail safe, only GMK Carb-O's...will I be safe or should I just wait?? The radio im gonna maybe use is a JR xr2i......LMK and thanks for your help/suggestions........peace Trevor
Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No way would I trust any AM radio with $1000 set up! To risky of interfearance and runaways! Wait till your 3 comes in Dont do it!!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i would say no. failsafes are under $30 or borrow one then you are good to go til you get your new radio...
Old 06-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I second the opinion that I would only try it with a failsafe.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by pwnzor View Post
I am in need of using an AM radio until a couple weeks when I get my dx3r.........I just got new rc8 and mill, and want to get some practice laps in at new track that was just built. However, I have heard nightmarish stories about runaways and other shit with using AM and nitro.....LMK your thoughts, as I dont want my rc8 and new servos/mill destroyed, I have no fail safe, only GMK Carb-O's...will I be safe or should I just wait?? The radio im gonna maybe use is a JR xr2i......LMK and thanks for your help/suggestions........peace Trevor
I have heard nightmarish stories and seen them with FM so go figure... the radio will be fine dont worry about it for a few weeks!!! a fail safe will be good though!!
Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Arrow SPEKTRUM SERVO IN AM SET-UP?????????

What you need to do is two things. 1) invest in a $20-$30 failsafe and install it
2) install a mechanical failsafe like a spring or rubber bands onto the carby and then the other end to a stable fixing like the shock towers, crank case etc. So if your failsafe fails (all pun intended) your mechanical failsafe will take over and stop your car from becomming scrap metal. If your worried about buying a failsafe when your spektrum unit has a built in one think of it like this: $30max to protect a $1000+ race car.........doesn't sound too bad now does it. lol

Last edited by freestyles; 07-06-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE TITTLE, GOT THREADS MIXED UP.