Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Where are the RC Stick Gamepad Radio Controllers? >

Where are the RC Stick Gamepad Radio Controllers?

Where are the RC Stick Gamepad Radio Controllers?

Old 06-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Where are the RC Stick Gamepad Radio Controllers?

Why hasn't any of the RC companies invested into making a Stick Radio with a modern game pad look and feel? I'm sorry, but the gaming audience is MUCH larger than us, and the manufacturers have done more research into ergonomics.

It could be a 2.4 with 2 cells per hand grip. The Display screen & buttons in the middle, and oversize analog dongle sticks that fit thumbs more comfortable that could be switched L to R for different hand orientations.

Again, I cite ergonomics, and feel for being one of the reasons. The other is it would allow people from the gaming communities to adapt to driving an rc vehicle that much quicker. How many times have you handed a remote (especially pistol) to a newb, and they have no idea of how to use it? In other words it could help increase the interest in our hobby.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 AM
Tech Champion

So, what am I missing here?
Old 06-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Your idea makes sense, and maybe it could help some rookies join the hobby.

However, there are limits to game style controllers.

On my PS2, i play GT4 (Not GTA) a lot. The thing that bothers me most it bieng able to precisely steer. Using the stick is smooth, but you cannot control it precisely with just one thumb. on a high speed track, if i try to follow a line smoothly, i cant. I end up swerving in and out, because the controller does not deliver that precise of control.

With R/C controllers, there is more precision because you hold the steering wheel with more than just a thumb. Thus, you are able to control the steering more precisely. Throttle is not as critical as steering, yet the function is easily done with a "trigger".

I understand the idea of a more universally accepted controller, that more people could pick up and understand. Its a pretty good idea, we would just have to make the controller very precise.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have made some research, and there's no gamepad available for this purpose.

I have in mind a project which would involve both a ps2 controller and a tamiya AM pistol radio,and what I want to do is basically modify the pistol in order to be able to steer and accelerate with gamepad buttons.

I won't be modifying the layout of neither the radio, nor the gamepad, I just want to plug the gamepad into the pistol and "replace" the steering wheel and the accelerator trigger...

What do you think of this?

I was thinking that the guys at my local track, have perhaps from 8 to 20 years of experience driving rc cars, but at my age (32) I might have even more experience playing racing videogames....

I want to win ASAP!

What do you guys think?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Shake
I have made some research, and there's no gamepad available for this purpose.

I have in mind a project which would involve both a ps2 controller and a tamiya AM pistol radio,and what I want to do is basically modify the pistol in order to be able to steer and accelerate with gamepad buttons.

I won't be modifying the layout of neither the radio, nor the gamepad, I just want to plug the gamepad into the pistol and "replace" the steering wheel and the accelerator trigger...

What do you think of this?

I was thinking that the guys at my local track, have perhaps from 8 to 20 years of experience driving rc cars, but at my age (32) I might have even more experience playing racing videogames....

I want to win ASAP!

What do you guys think?
honestly it sounds like you need to get a life..
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Great reply Nickd18! Not...

An R/C controller based on the controller for an Xbox 360 or PS3 would be awesome. I'm sure there must be a way to build one, but unless you've got a ton of knowledge regarding advanced electronics it sure would be tough to build one. The Xbox 360 controller has great resolution in racing games for braking and for throttle. It would be really nice to have that for my buggy. Plus it is just plain comfortable.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

well sorry for bringing up old posts but..
this would be easy
just use the analong in a ps2/ps3 and solder wires to the board so it can go into the radio
then put the left stick as the throttle and put the right stick as the steerint wheel
it would be pretty easy as long you take your time and plan before you do it
i could make one
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up Hell yeah!!

Best idea i've heard in a long time..

With the advent of DSM technology and its itsy bitsy components need to support the technology.. Smaller more comfortable packages should/could be soon to follow..

Altho.. It would be hard to beat a pistol grip for the seasoned veteran.. I do see the pistol grip being able to get 'better'...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

I have an RC controller for the PS1(it might work with the PS2)

I'll post pics when I get home
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

well ill tell you what
ill make one if someone will buy it
it will be a TQ radio
but first i want somebody to say they will buy one from me
for ps2
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Adept

would anyone be interested
Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tylerlong
well ill tell you what
ill make one if someone will buy it
it will be a TQ radio
but first i want somebody to say they will buy one from me
for ps2
They don't want to make an RC controller for the PS2...

They want to turn a PS2 controller into an RC controller!

The PS2 is not a very sensitive controller when it comes to the analog sticks...

The PS3, however, seems to be a lot more precise... Haven't played a racing game with my PS3 yet, lol.

The 360 controller has the most space... lol.

Or, if someone's willing to sacrifice a Dreamcast controller...

I doubt it'd work well for me... I'd just confuse the radio... I do a lot of braking while I'm pressing the accelerator in my racing games
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Tech Regular

then it would be easier to throw the controller at your truck!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

As interesting as it sounds, I doubt this would make controlling an r/c very easy... you forget that the game program has a lot to do with how the virtual car handles... the game compensates for traction and handling... A full adjustable steering wheel has a lot more control than a gamepad.. likewise a full trigger for throttle is infinitely more adjustable than a button...

Even with a gamepad, a seasoned gamer would be no match for a seasoned r/c'er with a pistol grip...

Jerome
Old 08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

I think if it's done right, a gamer can adjust just fine...

As for all those "assists" when they're off, the game isn't really "compensating"

And there is some radios that pulse the throttle and brakes for simulated traction control and ABS...

An actual steering wheel with a gas pedal and brake pedal would be more fun, though... A lot more precise steering, with a decent wheel, lol.

Or heck, good quality flight simulator controls would probably work even better...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.