Wiki Posts
Search

Pro's / Con's 2nd hand batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Default Pro's / Con's 2nd hand batteries

With so many people upgrading to Lipo and an influx of second hand NiMH on the market, Id like to canvas peoples opinions on buying these old used cells. Now obviously they would be no good for all out racing but for bashing in Off road and Mini car park racing with 27t and 19t applications, I'm curious as to what people think. There seem to be a lot of 3300, 3800 and 4200 cells available.

So I'm wondering peoples opinion which would be the better ones to pick up?

Im leaning towards some SMC3300 i've seen available as the price is right and I believe i should be wary of some of the IB packs. Or would i be better of just buying some cheap stick packs for peace of mind?

Peace benzaah
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
With so many people upgrading to Lipo and an influx of second hand NiMH on the market, Id like to canvas peoples opinions on buying these old used cells. Now obviously they would be no good for all out racing but for bashing in Off road and Mini car park racing with 27t and 19t applications, I'm curious as to what people think. There seem to be a lot of 3300, 3800 and 4200 cells available.

So I'm wondering peoples opinion which would be the better ones to pick up?

Im leaning towards some SMC3300 i've seen available as the price is right and I believe i should be wary of some of the IB packs. Or would i be better of just buying some cheap stick packs for peace of mind?

Peace benzaah
It's hit or miss. You can buy abused crap or some good second hand cells. I would look for gp's or ib's
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

About the only time I'd consider buying a used pack would be in-person and from someone I know and trust at the races. That kinda goes with anything electrical you buy online, no amount of looking at it will ever make you 100% sure it's good, the only time you'll know is when you plug it in. Batteries especially, like RB FIVE said it's a total crap shoot.

Hell, lately it seems like even buying brand new NiMH cells is a risk. I've got a Trinity race pack sitting in my shop right now that I bought last fall and I think it might be junk. Makes me wonder if the battery manufacturers are trying to steer the whole market towards LiPo by selling poor quality NiMH cells
Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

+1 for buying batteries from someone you know. Batteries are like buying meat or eggs. If you don't know how they were treated/stored, they might be spoiled when you get them.