Reciever cutting off?

Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Reciever cutting off?

I raced my touring car today with 3200 Peak Lipo and a Novak 10.5 motor with a TC Sphere esc, M8 radio with a Spektrum module and a 3000 reciever.
In the middle of the race my car went dead like it lost power. I picked it up and checked the battery wires and they were fine. Turned off the esc and turned it back on and it worked. Next heat it did it again twice. I thought it might be the esc but it never got warm and the motor barely got warm. I took it out and put in a Novak GTB w/ Lipo cutoff. The same thing happend but I notice the fan was still running but the reciever was off. Turned the switch off and back on and it worked. Has anyone had this problem?

Last edited by Chill_Will; 03-09-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Might be the lipo low voltage shut off kicking in under hard acceleration. Have heard of a lot of cases like this.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try adding a capacitor, that may help the Tx from shutting down.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Might be the lipo low voltage shut off kicking in under hard acceleration. Have heard of a lot of cases like this.
On a fresh charged battery?
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alltapdout View Post
Try adding a capacitor, that may help the Tx from shutting down.
Add one where?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Depends on what is shutting down. I don't think a spektrum 3000 would cause the behavior you describe. If that was the issue they make power capacitors that plug into an unused receiver slot.

Sounds like a speedo issue to me. Are you using the capacitor that comes with the speedos? Same one with both or did you change them with the speedo change? Are they connected well to the positive and negative battery connections at the speedo? With short wires? This is where I think you may find the problem. Try shutting of the lipo shutoff on the speedo, just be sure not to run the lipo down.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chill_Will View Post
On a fresh charged battery?
Well sort of. Usually more of an issue with hot motors, and tired ni-mh batteries. A lipo usually avoids this, and a 10.5 is not that radical.

What about battery connectors/wiring? The juice has to get from the batt to the esc.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

I ran this same setup in my XXX buggy a couple of weeks ago with no problem. The only thing that is different is the servo. Tomorrow I'm going to switch recievers and if that don't work I will changed the servo. It might be bad and making the reciever shut down. Then I will try like you said and turn off the lipo cutoff. It's just strange that it's doing it with both esc.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Make sure that your Sphere/GTB is NOT in any type of LiPo mode. TC's draw more current than off-road and from what you wrote it certainly sounds like Lipo cutoff is the problem. "You changed nothing EXCEPT turned the car on/off" which reset the low voltage cut-off in the esc.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

I had issues with my 3000 shutting off under low voltage, and by the looks of the spektrum thread, there have been plenty of cases of this happening. The DSM modules are power hungry. I ran mine with lipo's and it would still turn off right before a jump. The new modules operate on a lower input voltage to help this concern. I also installed a capacitor in one of the open slots in my Rx, this definitly helped the situation, but it has happended since. BTW I'm running a GTB, which I know is different than what was previously stated in this thread, but I've had the same concerns. If the Rx is shutting off under hard accel, try a capacitor inline, if thats not it, maybe try a different battery.
Good Luck.
T
P.S. when my receiver would shut off, it would just take a few seconds then restart by itself. If yours is acting differently than it very well may be the esc.

Last edited by Alltapdout; 03-10-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Tech Master

Alltapdout- What cap did you use?

Thanks for the input guys!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Spektrum makes one, and novak makes one. Those are the two major brands that I am aware of. There about 6 bucks. Its not too expensive to try, just finding a place to secure it can be the difficult part. If you notice the bind light go out on hard accel, you may want to try the cap.

Also, I'm not sure about the LRP but from what I have noticed, all the speed controls that have a built-in lipo cut-off, kill just the motor, and let the steering still operate. So if you are loseing the steering also, it may not be a lipo cut-off issue
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Ok, today I changed recievers. I had another spektrum one and it didn't cut off. I ran the car hard for about 6 or 7 minutes without a problem. Hopefully that was the issue. Thanks for the input guys. Now I have to see about getting the reciever I took out looked at.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Tech Initiate

i had this exact problem . and found that if i had the car on the bench runing at wot . and wiggled the steering fast the car would shut down. I installed a cap on the reciever and the problem is gone. I run a jr 9100s servo.