Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
2 Brushless Questions. >

2 Brushless Questions.

2 Brushless Questions.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2 Brushless Questions.

I just bought a Novak XBR Brushless esc and I want to know if I have to use only novak bl motors or can I use other sensored brands shuch as a Neo-one or an Orion Vortex

Second Question. I have been looking at the neo one motors and I have seen 2 different comparisons.
1)NEO-One 1 Star Brushless Motor, 13 turns.
NEO-One 2 Star Brushless Motor, 11 turns.
NEO-One 3 Star Brushless Motor, 9 turns
NEO-One 4 Star Brushless Motor, 7 turns.

2)Neo-One 1 Star 8.5T
Neo-One 2 Star 7.5T
Neo-One 3 Star 6.5T
Neo-One 4 Star 5.5T

My XBR is an 8.5 turn limit for brushless and no turn limit for brushed. Is it possible to use 1,2,or 3 star motors ar just the 1 star motor. Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I just bought a Novak XBR Brushless esc and I want to know if I have to use only novak bl motors or can I use other sensored brands shuch as a Neo-one or an Orion Vortex
Yep, any sensored motor should be compatible with your ESC. That includes Novak, LRP, Orion, SpeedPassion, the new sensored Trinity motors, etc.

Second Question. I have been looking at the neo one motors and I have seen 2 different comparisons.
1)NEO-One 1 Star Brushless Motor, 13 turns.
NEO-One 2 Star Brushless Motor, 11 turns.
NEO-One 3 Star Brushless Motor, 9 turns
NEO-One 4 Star Brushless Motor, 7 turns.
This is their attempt to tell you the brushed equivalents of the motors. They're saying the 1 Star is similar to a 13 turn brushed motor. This is not the actual number of turns in the motor.

2)Neo-One 1 Star 8.5T
Neo-One 2 Star 7.5T
Neo-One 3 Star 6.5T
Neo-One 4 Star 5.5T
This is the actual number of turns in the motor, and the number you'll need to pay attention to when determining whether or not your speed control is compatible. In this case, due to the limits of the XBR, the only one you'd be able to run is the 1 star (8.5T).

These are pretty old motors, though. If I were you, I'd consider looking into a newer motor, and definitely one that has a sintered rotor. The Novak "Pro" series is a nice start. Orion's motors are also okay. LRP's newer X11 series of motors are great as well, though I don't think they come with a sintered rotor, so that's something you'd want to buy and add separately. The Novak pro motors are probably the best deal overall.