Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
EP 4200 blew up in my face today. >

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brian Miskolczi
What I posted are the recommendations straight from Trinity, the cells do not like to be discharged down to .9v per cell, only 1.2v per cell. The cut off is very important. You do not want to re-peak these cells right before a run. They are very sensitive. Follow the set of instructions below to a T and see how it works out.
did they mention a recommendation for temp cutoff? i always like have three forms of cut off when charging.

1. temp
2. peak
3. capacity

that way if one misses, the other two are there for back up.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
Maybe this is the push EP needs to go li-po.

To you morons charging at anything more than 6 amps, first off sit pack and piss your money away if you want because that is what you are doing. The packs dont last but a handful of cycles, feed everyone full of all the bullshit you want, but if you seriously think your losing races because you see the guy who beat you had his charger at 10 amps and your was at 6 slap yourself. He can charge at 10 amps because he is a) rich B) sponsered and hasnt had to pay for a battery pack for some time C) just wants to laugh and smile when his pack blows and scares the shit outta everybody.

To all of you morons doing this thank you very much, make it dangerous for all of us jackasses.

Now when li-po takes over, which it will, and if you dont like it tough shit, you morons need to learn to READ INSTRUCTIONS. First off spend the money on a li-po specific charger, then learn to use it. Then buy the li-po of your choice, CHARGE IT AT 1C. Yes this means it will take 1 hour to charge maybe a little over it, learn to deal. Plan accordingly. And if you should happen to see or hear of some jackass charging his li-po at some rediculous amperage please slap him, ban him from your track whatever it takes.

I honestly cant believe the owners of the tracks you run at are allowing you guys to charge at that kinda amperage its rediculous and dangerous.

My local track owner no longer allows a guy i know to even bring a charger to his track anymore because he has almost burnt the place to the ground on more than one occasion. Started tell the guy to charge his shit at home, and to this date the guy is still one of the best racers at the track.

Li-po are dangerous if charged incorrectly, but safer if you just listen to the manufactuers specification key word being manufactuer they built the damn thing. I think they know a lil better than i do about what it can handle and what it cant. Just like me I am an engine builder, i know damn good and well what a $15,000 Blown 540 merlin that i build can handle. And guess what the guy who buys it from me usually listens to me when i tell him dont run less than 112 octane and never ever turn it more than 7200 RPM cause guess what that son of a bitch will let go or at the least bend some push rods at 7350 RPM.

LEARN TO READ MANUFACTUERS INSTRUCTIONS ON EVERYTHING INVOLVED WITH THIS HOBBY. THE MANUFACTERS DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
HA! Best post I've seen in my life!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Hebiki-Not sure on the temps. I know that these cells will not take the abuse that the 3300 gp can take, they are much more sensitive to discharge voltage, and cut off. As you can see one of the guys on here said he was getting 4900 MaH into a pack, and about 135 degrees for a temp. Not sure what settings he is using to charge his batteries. Try my recommendations and see how it goes, I think that the discharge cut off is a bigger deal, as the cells have more and more voltage drawn out of them, and already having more voltage than the other smaller capacity cells, it hurts the cells when you discharge them down that far, and then you try and add more charge into them and they cannot handle the heat. Discharge them down to 1.2 on a tray. The novak smart tray is adjustable, but i beleive the new SE tray is the one that can be set to 1.2v, as the old one had .9v as the highest setting.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

http://www.teamtrinity.com/articles/ep.asp

Check out the link and go to www.teamtrinity.com it is the new site with some info on the cells and a few other new products.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcian
very true look at my charger right before the main its at 10 amp because im trying to get the highist voltage possiable and garrett is no noob to r/c racing so dont be stupid he knows what hes talking about.Ive only had onecell vent on me and that was on an ib pack that was a year old
Wow another sponsered driver that probably hasnt bought a pack outta his own wallet in a very long time thinking the extra one one hundreth of a volt will win him a race.

Little hint, i have a good feeling most of the people who have posted on this thread arent noobs. Just like you. Unlike you however, we have a brain. That is were the difference is. Not in your .01 volts you gain by charging at 10 amps before a race.

If you look in my sig you will see that i dont even have a 10th scale EP car.

Dont think this means i dont know what im talking about. I got tired of electric racing all together because it got to be too expensive because good batteries are $100-120 a piece for me. And unfortunatly i am not sponsored, hmm, maybe it was because i wasnt getting the extra .01 of a volt 10 minutes before the tone sounded.

When li-po is allowed here at my local track. Yes i will be back at 10th scale TC racing again. Untill then, i will stick with nitro.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I can't wait for lipo either. But I still think there will be a battery war with lipo. Notice how manufacturers have different "C" ratings on their batteries. I see the batteries getting pushed harder each year in regards to this. Higher C ratings means a battery can push more amps. Right now I only know about the Enerland lipos cells that have 30C ratings. Not sure if that's the highest at this time. But I can imagine battery wars continuing.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
I can't wait for lipo either. But I still think there will be a battery war with lipo. Notice how manufacturers have different "C" ratings on their batteries. I see the batteries getting pushed harder each year in regards to this. Higher C ratings means a battery can push more amps. Right now I only know about the Enerland lipos cells that have 30C ratings. Not sure if that's the highest at this time. But I can imagine battery wars continuing.
Undoubtledly, of course there will be a battery war. If it werent for competition, we wouldnt be trying to get 4300 MAH out of sub c sized cells. A battery war will insue, i have no doubt in my mind. But with there already being a saftey concern about li-po manufactuers will not release these batteries untill they believe they are safe.

It is then up to the user to again READ THE DAMN MANUFACTUERS INSTRUCTIONS AND CHARGE THEM HOW THE MANUFACTUER RECOMENDS.

Of course you know some jackass out there will think he can win a race by charging his 20c 4800 mah lipo at 37 amps or so and wind up burning a beloved track to the ground. That is why i am standing up so strong in this thread there is absolutely no point in charging a sub c at 10 amps. its stupid. I am sorry if i affending people, but i really dont care if i do, only becuase i know the ones i am offending are the jackass charging at more than 6 amps.

I have my 2 year old daughter at the track with me when i am racing and the last thing i want to happen is have a sub c or li-po pop when she is anywhere near it. I have been using li-pos for 4 years now in various minis. All brands all cell counts you name it i have done it. Except for have one burst into flame. I have even had a ESC fail and dead short the battery, the battery did swell after half an hour at that point i put it in the middle of the driveway for over 12 hours and nothing happend.

That is the only Li-po mishap i have had. I have had a Losi triple x-s burn to the ground with a NIMH battery on board. It was due to a horrible crash in which the pack took a direct hit and shorted and caught the plastic chassis on fire.

I consider both just a part of the hobby things happen sometimes. It is rediculous however to push the limits and the manufactuers warnings on what a battery can and cannot handle.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut
I think you may be mistaken about either the amps or the charger. The ICE will only charge to 8 amps.
the display said 10 amps.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SRBMOJO
the display said 10 amps.
Well if it was the ICE it was discharging the battery. The Ice will only charge up to 8 amps and discharge at 10 amps. Was it the ICE charger?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by drivingpro
you still have to charge batteries for nitro.

Starter box
Glow driver
Receiver pack
......yeah................but..............who charges a receiver pack at 6-10 amps........................gee, why did it blow.........i was only charging at 100000000000000000000000000amps.........
Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by billjacobs
I stand behind my original proposal. Lets change all touring car classes to novak 3.5 brushless. That way, everyone will be going to 5 cells and trying to get lower voltage out of the cells because they can't control the car with 6 pushed matched cells.
...or go back to 7 cells.....even a 7 cell junk pack will fly..........guys would still charge them at 10 amps "for an edge"
Old 11-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Well if it was the ICE it was discharging the battery. The Ice will only charge up to 8 amps and discharge at 10 amps. Was it the ICE charger?
yes it was an ICE, I have two, I'm pretty sure I know what they look like. The display said charge rate 10 amps, discharge rate 10 amps.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

does anyone at Trinity have the decency to contact the original poster at least to see how he is doing?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Why has this thread turned into a Mochary You guys sound like a bunch of snops. A battery pack explodes in someones face, thats not cool.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default what's a snop?

Since there are racers from many countries on this board, what's a snop?

The original intent of this thread was to shed light on the dangers of the 4200 nimh cells and in small part about the complete disregard shown by Trinity. My first and only concern is about the safety of those racers who have had nimh blow on them. Batteries are cheap and the days of nimh are numbered anyway, so I don't have any pity for IB and EP and whoever.

On to Trinity. I love how trinity starts all of the arguments in r/c to keep the old technology and then quietly releases the new technology, but because of the bad blood, people are reluctant to buy new technology with trinity's name on it. This is IRONY at its best.

Roads, has the damage from the cell blowing healed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.