Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
EP 4200 blew up in my face today. >

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 PM
  #61  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
wes95_z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 747
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Lets see. His email is [email protected], so I assume he is sponsored by team brood. Now if I were sponsored by a matcher, would I really care about cell longevity? Would I care about safety since my goal is to get the last .01v out of the cell regardless of the risk?

I don't think garrett is a good source about the safety of cells charged at 10 amps. When will r/c racers realize that idolizing and copying the top racers only results in you spending more money?

I stand behind my original proposal. Lets change all touring car classes to novak 3.5 brushless. That way, everyone will be going to 5 cells and trying to get lower voltage out of the cells because they can't control the car with 6 pushed matched cells.

I hear what your saying about the TC class and i agree with you that would kinda work. But you know some jackass out there would think he was losing races because he didnt have the .01 extra volts he needed when his pack dumped 3 minutes into the race. doesnt matter if you make it 4 cells with the 3.5 rule some jackass will still charge at 10 amps.

And i had no clue that flameoutgarret was sponsered but it goes along exactly with what i was saying above.
wes95_z28 is offline  
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM
  #62  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Leodis
Wanna bet?
ok
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 11-07-2007, 09:17 PM
  #63  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Lets see. His email is [email protected], so I assume he is sponsored by team brood. Now if I were sponsored by a matcher, would I really care about cell longevity? Would I care about safety since my goal is to get the last .01v out of the cell regardless of the risk?

I don't think garrett is a good source about the safety of cells charged at 10 amps. When will r/c racers realize that idolizing and copying the top racers only results in you spending more money?

I stand behind my original proposal. Lets change all touring car classes to novak 3.5 brushless. That way, everyone will be going to 5 cells and trying to get lower voltage out of the cells because they can't control the car with 6 pushed matched cells.
i work for team brood, i am the motor guy at all the big races and do the battery stuff, this is my job......i try to make sure everything that we sell is up to par, fact is that people do charge at 10amps, do i tell them to? no.
whenever anyone asks me i say 5-6 amp charge..

we have tried every single way to maintain a battery, with every kind of cell, when a car company says that a truck has a maximum towing cap of 10,000lbs do you think they stopped at 10k? no they probly went till the truck ripped in 2, then you always see the guy whos bumper is scraping going down the road....and thats why they did a bunch of testing...with that guy in mind...im doing the same thing.

someone brought up how idiots are charging at 10amps and thats what is blowing them up, im just saying that i have charged at 10 and havent had a problem, when i hear of someone say they had a cell blow first thing i ask is what charger, rate, and peak....

say what you want but im no noob to all of this...
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 07:24 AM
  #64  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
wes95_z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 747
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
i work for team brood, i am the motor guy at all the big races and do the battery stuff, this is my job......i try to make sure everything that we sell is up to par, fact is that people do charge at 10amps, do i tell them to? no.
whenever anyone asks me i say 5-6 amp charge..

we have tried every single way to maintain a battery, with every kind of cell, when a car company says that a truck has a maximum towing cap of 10,000lbs do you think they stopped at 10k? no they probly went till the truck ripped in 2, then you always see the guy whos bumper is scraping going down the road....and thats why they did a bunch of testing...with that guy in mind...im doing the same thing.

someone brought up how idiots are charging at 10amps and thats what is blowing them up, im just saying that i have charged at 10 and havent had a problem, when i hear of someone say they had a cell blow first thing i ask is what charger, rate, and peak....

say what you want but im no noob to all of this...
You say your testing.

You say you dont tell anybody to charge at 10 amps.

But you charge at 10 amps like its no big deal, you say everyone else in your pit area is charging at 10 amps at your local track.

When chevy does testing on there new tahoes they slam them into walls at 55 MPH, when i want to test mine i dont even think i could man up to do it, mainly because i dont think my insurance would cover it. If you were the only man on the planet saying he was charging at 10 amps because you work for a matching company and you want to test them, i would possibly believe you.

But i have a brain, and after reading your previous post in this thread that is not why you charge at 10 amps, you think the extra one one hundreth of a volt you gain is going to win you the next race. And if the pack vents chalk it up in the test session pull out another free pack from your pit box and go at it again.

Testing my ass

Stupidity is more like it.
wes95_z28 is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
  #65  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

at a big race people are charging higher, club level i really dont know, i dont club race much and when i do its offroad so im charging at 5 amps (running mod)

honestly if a pack vents i still run it......still just as fast as it was before it vented...

im definetly not looking for the extra tenth of a lap, u can pretty much ask any onroad racer that in on road im not looking to win....i go to big races to work, and race just to fill the time...

p.s i dont get all the free batteries that i want, i grab 1 or 2 only when i have to, i am still using batts from snowbirds...and that was feb....
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM
  #66  
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default Explosions

Originally Posted by wes95_z28
You say your testing.


Testing my ass

Stupidity is more like it.

Kaa-Boom !
and
Lots of smoke & a terrible smell.....


O-Look @ Garrett !!!

He`s testing his new battery`s......
Wild Cherry is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
  #67  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

not being funny, but you really are not a very good advert for Team Brood though, saying you charge at 10A but would never advise it to a customer.

just an observation.
DA_cookie_monst is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 03:38 PM
  #68  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (3)
 
wes95_z28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norman, Ok
Posts: 747
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I think it is funny he is still calling it "testing"

Saftey testing is usually done behind closed doors isnt it?

I mean i dont really think team brood would like it if someone were to get injured because someone that works for them was "testing if it were safe to charge at 10 amps" at a large events pit area. They would probably run this test behind closed doors.

Especially when he says he is telling everyone else that asks him to charge at 5-6 amps and no more.

Sounds pretty damn stupid to me.
wes95_z28 is offline  
Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
  #69  
Tech Master
iTrader: (38)
 
dal bains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,041
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Next time you guys are at a big event, look around right before the mains and see what the stock guys are charging at.

Last edited by dal bains; 11-08-2007 at 09:57 PM.
dal bains is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 01:34 AM
  #70  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (10)
 
flameoutgarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Srcr Seattle, Wa
Posts: 3,649
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

finally someone that races chimes in....

thanks dal...

ive got 100's of people satisfied with what i do for them, and the advise i give, love it or hate it people charge at high amps...
flameoutgarrett is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 AM
  #71  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Dude, i have been racing since the era of 1200SC and 1400SCR's and i have never ever seen someone charge any cell at a high amperage and gain any real benefit from it. motors struggle with IB42's as it is, so by charging at higher amps and getting a tiny bit more voltage will just murder the motor even quicker.

You do think cause you fiddle with motors, that nobody else got a clue about racing?? Jeez.

The only thing you have said that more or less right is that if a cell vents, that doesn't mean that the cell is knackered, the venting is a process of the cell, just once that cell starts getting warmer than others, it needs swapping out.
DA_cookie_monst is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM
  #72  
Tech Initiate
Thread Starter
 
Roads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 46
Default

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
finally someone that races chimes in....

thanks dal...

ive got 100's of people satisfied with what i do for them, and the advise i give, love it or hate it people charge at high amps...
That is not the issue we are discussing here. I think people are getting a little off track. The discussion here is saftey. Your battery care methods are not safe wether or not you have had an accident. If you abuse these fragile batteries it could injure yourself or someone else. I am not here to flame anyone, I am just trying to raise awarness to the lack of saftey in our hobby.
Roads is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 06:22 AM
  #73  
Tech Master
iTrader: (65)
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,415
Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default 100's of people satisfied

You've got 100's of people who will do anything to gain an edge. You've got 100's of people (those who aren't sponsored,) who sink $1000's of dollars into racing toy cars. AND when someone who was almost seriously injured or maimed questions whether having ever more fragile cells and abusing them more and more is a good idea, you say it's OK because guys are winning with your stuff and charging methods.

I wonder what will happen when a racer is seriously injured by an exploding cell. Someone always has to be injured before anything is done. Who wants to volunteer?
billjacobs is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 10:06 AM
  #74  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (67)
 
SRBMOJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ORANGE CO., CA
Posts: 977
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

I went to SoCal raceway last night and sure enough there was a guy with 2 ICE chargers, charging EP4200's at 10 amps two pits over from me. Scary deal.
SRBMOJO is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
  #75  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,870
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

it would take a lot of convincing to prove that you get any real noticeable performance increase with charging at that rate, although, considering he is a 'motor man' all those burnt up stock motors must keep him busy.
DA_cookie_monst is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.