Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
EP 4200 blew up in my face today. >

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

EP 4200 blew up in my face today.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
most charge at 6A cause that is what they are used to, but really 5A is ample.
I agree.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

did you get anywhere with Trinity after?

I just soldered up five packs of IB42 latest batch, no issue, although I left them partialy charged rather than traying them before soldering, also used a resin flux to, to help the solder flow, 1.5sec a cell most.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
did you get anywhere with Trinity?
Not yet, I'm really pissed at Trinity's customer support. I have left numerous messages to their warrenty department with not one call back from them. I would not recommend using Trinity products due to their lack of customer service.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roads
That is just irrisponsible.
not really, ive seen people charge em at 10 all day long, i like to put them through the ringer and call it "testing" i think they actually work best when charged at a higher rate, i dont suggest people do it, but see everyone at big races do it....

never had an ib blow up and ALOT of cells have passed through my hands..
Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default battery charging

The pro racers at the big races charge at 10 amps, so it must be okay. I've never had one blow up, so maybe I can try charging them at 15amps? The extra .01v I get is really noticeable on the track.

And racers wonder why current nimh just aren't race worthy after 10 cycles, or is it 5 cycles.

I think the best thing to do is to hook the battery directly to the 12v power supply, that way the batteries will have incredible voltage (until they blow.)

I wonder if soaking my hands in traction compound will make me faster because it will give me better traction while holding the radio wheel?

Read your battery label, what is the charge rate? Now multiply that by 10 or 20 and I am sure it is just as safe.

I'm wondering how long it will take before someone gets injured when a battery explodes and sues IB or EP, or whoever. Good luck collecting anything.

Back to charging at 15 amps.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Default battery charging

I just hope that this same mentality isn't used with LIPO's or we are all in trouble. Plus another benefit to lipo is there is no performance gain with increasing the charge amperage.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett
not really, ive seen people charge em at 10 all day long
Just because you see people doing it does not make it smart.

I like to put them through the ringer and call it "testing"
Remind to never pit next to you, thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

some people were just in the wrong line at conception when the common sense gene was being given out.

Top drivers can charge at high rates if they so wish.... the cells don't need to last long.

LiPo, yeah, great, but for a lot, still an unknown technicality, there are plenty who will/do think they could use their cheap charger or leave it on the wrong profile and it go bang to.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

you still have to charge batteries for nitro.

Starter box
Glow driver
Receiver pack
Old 11-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roads
Just because you see people doing it does not make it smart.

Remind to never pit next to you, thanks.
been doing it since the ib's have come out...

pit where you want but i can assure you that the person next to you will be charging the same rate as i am
Old 11-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billjacobs
In terms of Trinity, why would they get back to you. If they express any remorse or admit any liability, they can be sued. They can offer to replace the pack, but why would they do that. Since this happened while soldering the pack, they will blame you, saying you applied to much heat to the cell for too long, etc.

The least Trinity could do is get back to the guy and find out how he is doing.

But then again, it's Trinity.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Default Norwegian Federation halts all EP Racing

http://www.redrc.net/2007/11/norwegi...-all-ep-racing

Stopped all EP racing until January 2008 because of IB's blowing up.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

pit where you want but i can assure you that the person next to you will be charging the same rate as i am
Wanna bet?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Maybe this is the push EP needs to go li-po.

To you morons charging at anything more than 6 amps, first off sit pack and piss your money away if you want because that is what you are doing. The packs dont last but a handful of cycles, feed everyone full of all the bullshit you want, but if you seriously think your losing races because you see the guy who beat you had his charger at 10 amps and your was at 6 slap yourself. He can charge at 10 amps because he is a) rich B) sponsered and hasnt had to pay for a battery pack for some time C) just wants to laugh and smile when his pack blows and scares the shit outta everybody.

To all of you morons doing this thank you very much, make it dangerous for all of us jackasses.

Now when li-po takes over, which it will, and if you dont like it tough shit, you morons need to learn to READ INSTRUCTIONS. First off spend the money on a li-po specific charger, then learn to use it. Then buy the li-po of your choice, CHARGE IT AT 1C. Yes this means it will take 1 hour to charge maybe a little over it, learn to deal. Plan accordingly. And if you should happen to see or hear of some jackass charging his li-po at some rediculous amperage please slap him, ban him from your track whatever it takes.

I honestly cant believe the owners of the tracks you run at are allowing you guys to charge at that kinda amperage its rediculous and dangerous.

My local track owner no longer allows a guy i know to even bring a charger to his track anymore because he has almost burnt the place to the ground on more than one occasion. Started tell the guy to charge his shit at home, and to this date the guy is still one of the best racers at the track.

Li-po are dangerous if charged incorrectly, but safer if you just listen to the manufactuers specification key word being manufactuer they built the damn thing. I think they know a lil better than i do about what it can handle and what it cant. Just like me I am an engine builder, i know damn good and well what a $15,000 Blown 540 merlin that i build can handle. And guess what the guy who buys it from me usually listens to me when i tell him dont run less than 112 octane and never ever turn it more than 7200 RPM cause guess what that son of a bitch will let go or at the least bend some push rods at 7350 RPM.

LEARN TO READ MANUFACTUERS INSTRUCTIONS ON EVERYTHING INVOLVED WITH THIS HOBBY. THE MANUFACTERS DO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Default flameoutgarrett

Lets see. His email is [email protected], so I assume he is sponsored by team brood. Now if I were sponsored by a matcher, would I really care about cell longevity? Would I care about safety since my goal is to get the last .01v out of the cell regardless of the risk?

I don't think garrett is a good source about the safety of cells charged at 10 amps. When will r/c racers realize that idolizing and copying the top racers only results in you spending more money?

I stand behind my original proposal. Lets change all touring car classes to novak 3.5 brushless. That way, everyone will be going to 5 cells and trying to get lower voltage out of the cells because they can't control the car with 6 pushed matched cells.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.