Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Question About Using Orion Advanced LiPo Charger >

Question About Using Orion Advanced LiPo Charger

Question About Using Orion Advanced LiPo Charger

Reply

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
  #1  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default Question About Using Orion Advanced LiPo Charger

I just picked up one of these. This is actually my second one but I'm noticing something about the way it charges.

The charge current will start to fall before the voltage reaches 8.4v. Is that right? I'm assuming it is because it that's how both units I've owned charged.

My Checkpoint 1030 charger holds the charge current at 1C until the voltage reaches 8.4v. Isn't that how CC/CV charging is supposed to work?
SlamMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:58 AM
  #2  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

That's what I've noticed with mine while my Ice waits until 8.4. I've always felt that it had a more cautious approach in getting the pack to 8.4. The end result seems to be the same regardless.
kuzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:51 AM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
That's what I've noticed with mine while my Ice waits until 8.4. I've always felt that it had a more cautious approach in getting the pack to 8.4. The end result seems to be the same regardless.
My only issue is that it seems to take longer for the charge cycle to complete. I've never actually tested it but my first one rarely completed the charge cycle between heats but the 1030 almost always does. It's not as big of a deal as I've got 2 lipo chargers now but I would like to know what the deal is.
SlamMan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (33)
 
Jason Pelletier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 8,831
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

I had one of these and traded it for a used pulsar 2. I hate the menus and all the dam beeping it made.
Jason Pelletier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (54)
 
AndyMoore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: IFMAR Non-World Champion
Posts: 3,362
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
I just picked up one of these. This is actually my second one but I'm noticing something about the way it charges.

The charge current will start to fall before the voltage reaches 8.4v. Is that right? I'm assuming it is because it that's how both units I've owned charged.

My Checkpoint 1030 charger holds the charge current at 1C until the voltage reaches 8.4v. Isn't that how CC/CV charging is supposed to work?
I was under the impression that CC/CV was a dual charge method. Its used in order to charge the pack in a reasonable amount of time, while accurately predicting when the pack was fully charged. It uses a solid charge amperage for half of the charge, and then lowers as the battery nears full charge.
AndyMoore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM
  #6  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (11)
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by AndyMoore View Post
I was under the impression that CC/CV was a dual charge method. Its used in order to charge the pack in a reasonable amount of time, while accurately predicting when the pack was fully charged. It uses a solid charge amperage for half of the charge, and then lowers as the battery nears full charge.
What you have there is right but what he (and I) noticed is the Advantage does it slightly different than some others.

My Ice charges full 1C rate until the pack voltage hits 8.4. Then it reduces the charge rate to maintain that 8.4.

My Advantage charges full 1C rate until around 8.1 - 8.2. I'm guessing that number as my memory is failing me. It then reduces the charge rate even though the pack isn't at 8.4 yet. Again guessing - I'd say when it gets down to around 1/2C is the point that the pack hits 8.4.

Now the Advantage seems to reduce the charge rate slower than the Ice has to due to starting the drop of charge rate earlier. It still seems to take a bit longer however which is something that SlamMan noticed as well.
kuzo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:28 AM
  #7  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (73)
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,753
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

You are not limited to 1c or 2c exclusively you could bump up the amps a bit to make up the time difference if you need it to complete.
MikeXray is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service