Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Working Motor, Volts Up, No Spiny Spin? >

Working Motor, Volts Up, No Spiny Spin?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDR

Working Motor, Volts Up, No Spiny Spin?

Old 02-11-2024, 06:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Working Motor, Volts Up, No Spiny Spin?

I crashed a little RC plane, no damage, but the motor wasnít working. Went home pulled the prop no spin.
I undid everything hooked the motor straight to power and spin. Good.. hooked a meter to the leads and throttled up, got good volts, hooked the motor back up and no spin.

what the heck.. I even hooked the motor to the lead that goes to an aileron servo and it spun.

how am I getting good spin from one lead, and same volts from another lead but no spin. Iím so confused.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 02-11-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2024, 08:39 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

You might be getting volts with no load, but none once a load goes on it. Try measuring the voltage across the motor when it's connected to the ESC (assuming that's how it's normally used). Similarly, put your multimeter in current mode and see how much current is passing through the motor.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by PDR
You might be getting volts with no load, but none once a load goes on it. Try measuring the voltage across the motor when it's connected to the ESC (assuming that's how it's normally used). Similarly, put your multimeter in current mode and see how much current is passing through the motor.

I did try this to measure amps, but it would not work.I think you are right, no current. Iím wondering if something burnt out. Would you happen to know which part could burn out/cause volts but no current,
Old 02-12-2024, 02:43 PM
PDR
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hard to know for sure, but probably a MOSFET in the ESC.

I'm assuming it's a brushed ESC? Does it have a recognised model? If it's a simple "forward-only" brushed ESC, there might be a single MOSFET that you could inspect. Given the original incident, check for damage to the PCB.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
I crashed a little RC plane, no damage, but the motor wasnít working. Went home pulled the prop no spin.
I undid everything hooked the motor straight to power and spin. Good.. hooked a meter to the leads and throttled up, got good volts, hooked the motor back up and no spin.

what the heck.. I even hooked the motor to the lead that goes to an aileron servo and it spun.

how am I getting good spin from one lead, and same volts from another lead but no spin. Iím so confused.
Something is bent so the load on the engine is more than normal.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by twentyeggs

If you get a response from the motor on the servo channel, but not the throttle channel, your receiver is pooched. Install a known good receiver.