R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Charger Recommendations (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/1110265-charger-recommendations.html)

kurt. 03-03-2023 05:43 AM

Charger Recommendations

I am looking to buy a new charger and would like some opinions.
The unique part is that I need something that is friendly enough for the whole family to safely charge lipos.
I am using a Hyperion EOS 0720I Super Duo right now and while it does everything i need, the menu navigation isn't that friendly.
We use 2S 5000-6500 almost exclusively so i don't necessarily need something that charges high cell lipos or exotic chemistry's. Its fine if it does, it just isn't a requirement for me.

I also don't want to sacrifice charging capabilities for the sake of ease-of-use. The ideal charger would have excellent charging features but also be easy for someone to use.

Any input power requirements are acceptable

hunterdawg 03-03-2023 06:26 AM

Might look at one of the Protek Duo charger. I had a 625DUO that was easy to use. The only downside was it did not charge 1s batteries.

JaGWolfgang 03-04-2023 05:44 AM

You can't go wrong with any of the Ichargers but that might be more than you're willing to spend. They are amazing chargers though.

kurt. 03-04-2023 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by JaGWolfgang (Post 15986156)
You can't go wrong with any of the Ichargers but that might be more than you're willing to spend. They are amazing chargers though.

They look nice but I haven't used one before to know firsthand if they are intuitive. Looks like I might need to watch a couple of youtube videos to see.
I am not overly concerned with price since any mishap would cost far more.
Looks like their models top out around 300-350 so that seems reasonable.

billdelong 03-05-2023 12:24 PM

+1

more info here:

kurt. 03-05-2023 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by billdelong (Post 15986477)
+1

more info here:

Thanks, I'll give this a read. I will need to sit and watch some user videos of the top-rated chargers to determine if they meet the usability requirement.
I can get the best charger, based on features, but if the learning curve is too steep for others to use then I'll have missed the objective.

billdelong 03-05-2023 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by kurt. (Post 15986479)
Thanks, I'll give this a read. I will need to sit and watch some user videos of the top-rated chargers to determine if they meet the usability requirement.

I can get the best charger, based on features, but if the learning curve is too steep for others to use then I'll have missed the objective.

iCharger has a learning curve to configure, but once it's setup, then it's just a simple 2 button press and very simple for my child to use it.

kurt. 03-05-2023 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by billdelong (Post 15986482)
iCharger has a learning curve to configure, but once it's setup, then it's just a simple 2 button press and very simple for my child to use it.

Awesome. This would be perfect then.
I saw the 458-DUO was up for pre-order on Amain. I'll pick up one of those and give it a go!
Thanks for the help

gigaplex 03-05-2023 02:42 PM

The iChargers are good but don't really fit the "easy to use for the whole family" requirement.

kurt. 03-05-2023 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 15986511)
The iChargers are good but don't really fit the "easy to use for the whole family" requirement.

Based on what billdelong said. I can build the profiles and they can just pick them.
They don't need to modify any of the charging parameters. Just the ability to connect a battery, easily pick a profile, and go.

gigaplex 03-05-2023 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by kurt. (Post 15986513)
Based on what billdelong said. I can build the profiles and they can just pick them.
They don't need to modify any of the charging parameters. Just the ability to connect a battery, easily pick a profile, and go.

Sure, but they don't have a "start" button. It's fairly easy to learn how to use the click dial to select the profile and then keep pressing to actually start the process, but it's not intuitive.

kurt. 03-05-2023 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 15986523)
Sure, but they don't have a "start" button. It's fairly easy to learn how to use the click dial to select the profile and then keep pressing to actually start the process, but it's not intuitive.

Understood. I guess I'll see how it goes then.
Hopefully it works out, but if not, I'll keep on searching till I find the one I need. Thanks for all the info

billdelong 03-05-2023 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 15986523)

I disagree, with the dial pre-selected to the desired profile, my child hits the start button and then the confirm, I see many other kids at the track use these ichargers which are by far the most common charger used in our area. Only thing that is important is for them to understand they are not to make any changes to the profile and maybe explain how to cancel out if they accidentally twist the dial. Your average 5th grader can handle it.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rct...2018979584.jpg