Futaba 4PM vs Sanwa MT5

Old 01-19-2023, 10:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Futaba 4PM vs Sanwa MT5

Which is preferred most by racers and why
Old 01-19-2023, 11:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

To be honest, I haven't seen anyone with an MT5 yet. Sanwa people at our track either use the previous versions or the M17
gigaplex likes this.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:13 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jblack45 View Post
Which is preferred most by racers and why
It is a brand thing. Most racers prefer Sanwa but I do think that it comes that Sanwa does sponsor a lot of racers en many privateers like to have what their idol(s) do use. Some say the Sanwa gives a better direct feeling with the car but I doubt that.

If racers choose to go for a mdrange the MT4/MT44 are well used but that does not mean the Futaba is a worse choice. But going for the super fast response modes the Sanwa SSR is better supported by several manufacturers fof servo's and ESC's than the Futaba SR.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't think the MT-5 is selling well, mainly because it's not backwards compatible with any of the previous generation receivers. So I would say it is not preferred by racers, if that's your question.
gigaplex likes this.

Last edited by RazorRC; 01-21-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I really like my Mt5. I got it for under $300. It’s as fast as Sanwas fastest m17. It’s not backwards compatible but that didn’t matter to me as I am starting fresh with no receivers. If I had a bunch of older Sanwa receivers then I might consider the M 17 because it is backwards compatible
Old 01-22-2023, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

I've had both (and an MT-44) and I much prefer the MT-5 ergonomics, display and menu system. The 4PX display really needs an update. Sanwa receivers are little annoying as all electronics seem to come with Futaba plugs as standard today.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The lack of compatibility with older or lower model Sanwa receivers baffles me. On one level, I get why they do it - to sell more receivers. But on the other hand, It is hard to recommend Sanwa to someone looking to jump from their RTR controllers or old Spektrum stuff to entry level Sanwa because there isn't an upgrade path from entry to mid- or TOTL radios without buying all new receivers at $100 apiece!

With Futaba, if you buy a 3pv, the receiver it comes with will still work with the 10px! So, you can move up the line in the transmitter and replace receivers at your own pace.

I love my M17 and am not considering a change at all. When people ask me what to get, I tell them that if the MT5 or M17 are in their budget, go that route. But if they don't want to spend that much, then go Futaba.
gigaplex likes this.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post
The lack of compatibility with older or lower model Sanwa receivers baffles me. On one level, I get why they do it - to sell more receivers. But on the other hand, It is hard to recommend Sanwa to someone looking to jump from their RTR controllers or old Spektrum stuff to entry level Sanwa because there isn't an upgrade path from entry to mid- or TOTL radios without buying all new receivers at $100 apiece!

With Futaba, if you buy a 3pv, the receiver it comes with will still work with the 10px! So, you can move up the line in the transmitter and replace receivers at your own pace.

I love my M17 and am not considering a change at all. When people ask me what to get, I tell them that if the MT5 or M17 are in their budget, go that route. But if they don't want to spend that much, then go Futaba.
You're looking at this all wrong.

If you are looking to buy a new radio, having backwards compatibility with the old FH4 protocol is really a non issue. Because you are only looking from that point forward.

But if you buy a low end Futaba radio, you are stuck with a low end experience. Because Futaba, unlike Sanwa, segments its feature set to higher end models only.

So if you want the higher speed Futaba "SR" mode, you are required to get, at the least, a 4PM. And the 4PM only has the option of one SR receiver that is compatible with it. If you want to use the other SR receivers, you are required to get a 7PX or 10PX, which is a nearly 3 times as much as a 4PM.

The common argument with Futaba folks, is that the receivers are cheaper. And there is a reason for that, because the Futaba cheap receivers are missing features, and are low frame rate, and low response time units. If you want the SR receivers, you are paying between $100-125 for the receiver, and again, they still require a $700-800 radio, which is more than an equivalent M17 (which will do FH4/FH5, SSR, SXR, and SUR, all for $600 with a compatible FH5 SXR/SUR receiver in the box).

The lower, mid, and high end model radios from Sanwa all use the same receivers, and all support SSR high speed protocols. The mid and high end supporting SXR/SUR on FH5. So yes, Sanwa receivers are more expensive at $100 than the cheap Futaba ones, but they have all the high end response features, and work with all of their current radios. Because Sanwa doesnt hide features behind a pay wall to entry like Futaba.

So at the end of the day, all things considered, the MT-5 with an SSR receiver is cheaper than a 4PM and the compatible SR receiver, and offers significantly more compatibiliy in the long run.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 0010 View Post

The entry level Sanwa is the MX-6. It has no compatibility with the rest of the Sanwa stack. The receiver for the MT-5 is compatible with the M17 however. So while there's no upgrade path for the entry radio, there is an upgrade path for the mid tier one.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:21 AM
Tech Lord

Futaba is another story....
S-FHSS and T-FHSS are no in time based follow up technologies but parallel. The T-FHSS-SR is a follow up but based on the normal T-FHSS. The new F4G protocol is a true next generation and the FASST is the old and almost obsolete generation which is also not supported on cheaper models as also the latest 10PX does not support FASST.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
The entry level Sanwa is the MX-6. It has no compatibility with the rest of the Sanwa stack. The receiver for the MT-5 is compatible with the M17 however. So while there's no upgrade path for the entry radio, there is an upgrade path for the mid tier one.
There is new sanwa radio MT-R.
https://sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/propo/mt-r.htm
Old 01-25-2023, 01:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by FolioHattu View Post
There is new sanwa radio MT-R.
https://sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/propo/mt-r.htm
That's also compatible with the MT-5 and M17 and looks like a replacement for the MT-S. That's a big step up from the entry level MX-6, and Sanwa themselves call it a "middle class" radio.
Old Today, 04:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Futaba is another story....
S-FHSS and T-FHSS are no in time based follow up technologies but parallel. The T-FHSS-SR is a follow up but based on the normal T-FHSS. The new F4G protocol is a true next generation and the FASST is the old and almost obsolete generation which is also not supported on cheaper models as also the latest 10PX does not support FASST.
As a long time Futaba user, for both surface and air... they're frustrating me. Backward compatibility (within reason) across the board would be nice. I hate the idea of having to update my onboard electronics just so my transmitter can get an update.
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The 4PM is a really good radio at that price point. Receivers are cheaper which is nice as you'll be buying several.
I don't have an MT5, but I have no doubt it's a good radio. RX492 receivers are smaller than the Futaba which is nice.

Both radio have all the adjustments you'll need. It'll come down to the cost, the ergonomics, and personal preference. I've used both brands for 35 years though the majority was with Futaba. We've switched to Sanwa and I have no regrets.

If you can, try each one for a few laps and play with their interface.

Buy either one with confidence. They both have ups and downs.