Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By billdelong

Lipo Battery Charger Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 06:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Lipo Battery Charger Recommendations

Just picked up a couple used gens ace 2s and 3s batteries. Looking for a decent charger that can charge dual batts, balance the cells and one in a reasonable price range.

Lmk you're recommendations & experiences.
thanks
Old 11-26-2022, 01:17 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by spiderx
Just picked up a couple used gens ace 2s and 3s batteries. Looking for a decent charger that can charge dual batts, balance the cells and one in a reasonable price range.

Lmk you're recommendations & experiences.
thanks
I know asking others is the most easy way and sometimes it can result in a bad purchase. I would advise to look and compare the options your local shop or faforite online shop has to offer. Also your whis list is very limited, how much amps do you want to charge and need it to be an AC and/or DC charger?
Old 11-26-2022, 06:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Some recommendations here to consider:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post43510433
smirkracing likes this.
Old 11-26-2022, 01:04 PM
Tech Addict

Much thanks billdelong

Originally Posted by Roelof
I know asking others is the most easy way and sometimes it can result in a bad purchase. I would advise to look and compare the options your local shop or faforite online shop has to offer. Also your whis list is very limited, how much amps do you want to charge and need it to be an AC and/or DC charger?

Hi yes doing some searching around and was also looking for peoples advice as well. Sometimes asking for a reference is a good start to help ya on a search. Im pretty new to when it comes to 3s lipos. I mostly have to relate to online shops though as its a small area without any local shops around. I always look for the best bang for the buck though. I have found the SKYRC T200 and I believe its a dual batttery charger that can balance as well. Its on sale for black friday till sunday but was hoping to get a new easier looking interface. Something like the ISDT D2 Mark 2. Also found the Venom Pro Duo but wasnt sure if it came with alot of cabels. Again shopping for the best bang for the buck without scarificing quality. Ive read skyrc has some good quality. I wouldnt mind having both ac and dc charging capabilities.

Also in my search Ive learned about a discharging unit which they say is recommended for a more accurate discharge. Any truth to that or is the chargers discharge still okay to use? I have found the skyrc bd250 unit which looks nice but Im questioning if I really need that?
Old 11-26-2022, 01:30 PM
Tech Lord

To be honest all chargers do charge with a CV/CC program and have no other tricks so basically all work the same.

The main differences will be with:
- power source
- max charging power/current
- max discharging power/current
- balancing current (which is mostly 300mA but with high current chargers that can be up to 1A)
- interface
- and of course, the price......

Are you a racer wanting the max out of your battery then yes, a high charging current and discharging current is wanted. Are you a basher then those super high charge/discharge currents are not noticeable.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
To be honest all chargers do charge with a CV/CC program and have no other tricks so basically all work the same.

The main differences will be with:
- power source
- max charging power/current
- max discharging power/current
- balancing current (which is mostly 300mA but with high current chargers that can be up to 1A)
- interface
- and of course, the price......

Are you a racer wanting the max out of your battery then yes, a high charging current and discharging current is wanted. Are you a basher then those super high charge/discharge currents are not noticeable.

Much thanks for the help and info. I appreciate it. I am just a basher. I wasnt aware of the high charge/discharge.

Would you know how the smart chargers are? I found a spektrum s2200 and s2100 over the last few nights of research. They seem to be pretty interesting. I wondering if it was necessary to use the spektrum xbc100 balancer with a smart charger? I also wondered if a stand alone discharger was needed as well. Even though I dont have a smart battery yet it does seem much easier to use this type of set up. So it seems anyway. I have yet to find honest reviews on them though.
Old 11-28-2022, 05:43 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a Spektrum s2200 that I like a lot bc its small, doesn’t need a power source and its easy to use. I have a buddy with one of the ichargers and he says its interface is confusing. The S2200 is AC only but I use it to charge during parking lot racing off of a Duracell AGM battery using a converter.

I have two of the Spektrum smart lipos. I don’t use them often bc i have so many other lipos Without the Spektrum smart lipos there’s nothing terribly smart about the Spektrum charger but again its easy to use and self contained.

I’m not sure why you’d need a stand alone discharger if you’re bashing. Racers mainly use the discharge feature to cycle to the lipo to sort of warm it up and lower the internal resistance. That little bit of extra edge doesn’t help in bashing IMO
Old 11-29-2022, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Newnan3
I have a Spektrum s2200 that I like a lot bc its small, doesn’t need a power source and its easy to use. I have a buddy with one of the ichargers and he says its interface is confusing. The S2200 is AC only but I use it to charge during parking lot racing off of a Duracell AGM battery using a converter.

I have two of the Spektrum smart lipos. I don’t use them often bc i have so many other lipos Without the Spektrum smart lipos there’s nothing terribly smart about the Spektrum charger but again its easy to use and self contained.

I’m not sure why you’d need a stand alone discharger if you’re bashing. Racers mainly use the discharge feature to cycle to the lipo to sort of warm it up and lower the internal resistance. That little bit of extra edge doesn’t help in bashing IMO
Thanks Newnan3 for that info and help. I wasnt really aware of not needing the discharger and was only learning about them thru this research for a charger. Some guy on youtube wasnt too specific in why he used a discharger just that he highly recommends getting one. lol! Im not dead set on buying one and after hearing more information on what its used for I agree I dont really need one for bashing then.
Cant thank ya enough for sharing that knowledge. Its helping save some cash I dont have for another item I dont really need. lol!
Old 11-29-2022, 10:39 PM
Tech Lord

Keep in mind those smart chargers have no "smart" if you do not use smart batteries.
The whole smart is based on a chip placed in the battery. That chip will tell the charger what setting is needed.

It is a kind of BID chip that was introduced years ago by Robbe
Old 11-30-2022, 01:38 PM
Tech Addict

Much thanks Roelof. It sounds like its an overpriced charger then. Im glad I didnt jump on the "good" deal I found on one on amazon. Im also glad I missed out on the "good" deal I found on amazon as it was a 3rd party seller in California and when doing reviews on the business it proved to be not to trustworthy. It's no wonder their price on it was much lower cost.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

https://rcbattery.com/ultra-power-up...MaAh2QEALw_wcB

These were available on Amazon but I didn't see it. Basically looks like Reedy rebrands these.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Newnan3
Doesn't the 50 LBS. of battery and DC-AC inverter eat up any size advantage of the charger?
All chargers need a power source. I'm guessing you mean power supply?
For the price of that Spektrum charger, you could have purchased an iCharger 406 DUO. Yes, the menu isn't as friendly, but the capabilities CRUSH the Spektrum and you wouldn't be doing that strange and inefficient DC to AC back to DC conversion, as the iCharger would run directly off your AGM battery.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, power supply….

The batter is 24lbs and the converter is 2-3lbs at most. I didnt buy the charger with outdoor racing in mind and realize what an ac/dc charger can do.

I get an entire day of racing charging lipos for two cars with my setup. It works for that and works well for when i race off-road indoors.