Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How can I charge 6 batteries as quickly as possible? >

How can I charge 6 batteries as quickly as possible?

Like Tree12Likes

How can I charge 6 batteries as quickly as possible?

Old 06-06-2022, 05:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How can I charge 6 batteries as quickly as possible?

Hi, I have 5 nimh and 1 lipo 2s battery, I currently use a wall charger to charge each battery one by one and it takes ages to fill all of them up, I need a faster way to charge all of them, what should I buy in order to charge them quickly at the same time? Thanks.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Use something like this.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Would an iMax B6 do the job? It's quite cheap.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:38 AM
Tech Lord

I hope you do not charge the LiPo with the same cheap NiMh wall charger.....

The iMax B6 is indeed a cheap and well used charger but then again limited to 5 (or 6) Ampere so still charging all your batteries will take some time. The suggested charger has basically 4 B6 chargers in one housing and when you look around you can find some brands with 8 or even 10A per channel.

If the 4 port is too expensive, you can find cheap 2 channel chargers as wel like the Hitec RDX2
https://hitecrcd.com/products/charge...2-mini/product
SteveM likes this.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice but the Hitec RDX2 is also a bit expensive. Is Hobbyking İmax X100 any good? I think it's better than the B6 and it fits in my budget. I also did charge the lipo with the wall charger and I think the battery is dead, lesson learned

Edit: I could also get an EV-Peak C4.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:35 AM
Tech Lord

The Hobbyking is discontinued....
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/x100-ac-...___store=en_us
Specs look good but keep in mind support and warranty can be an issue

The EV-peak sounds good too but again a single port charger. Keep in mind you can not use an unlimited charging current. For your NiMh you should hold on to 1C (1x its capacity), good cells are fine with 1.5C max. With the LiPo it is the same with 1C but most todays packs can handle up 2C w/o any problem.

But again with just 1 charger port you can charge one battery at the time....
Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Also I can't find the connector for EC3, all my batteries are EC3 but I can't find a cable that goes into the charger and comes out an as an EC3, the cable I am talking about is the one with the banana connector on the other side, I can only find Banana to T Connector. Can I get banana to T connector and sotter ec3 instead of T?

The thing is I can buy 2 1 port chargers cheaper than a single 2 port charger so there is no point in getting a 2 port charger I think.
Old 06-06-2022, 12:50 PM
Tech Lord

This?
Amazon Amazon

Basically you can make any cable if you have the right connectors, a piece of cable and a solder iron.

And yes, you can get 2 cheap B6 chargers for the price of one dual port. When you are going for the B6 chargers, be sure there is a power adapter with it. Many of them are sold w/o a power adapter unless you have a 12v high power 12v power supply. And keep in mind the real cheap version is just a Chinese copy which quality is debated.

Old 06-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
This?

Basically you can make any cable if you have the right connectors, a piece of cable and a solder iron.

And yes, you can get 2 cheap B6 chargers for the price of one dual port. When you are going for the B6 chargers, be sure there is a power adapter with it. Many of them are sold w/o a power adapter unless you have a 12v high power 12v power supply. And keep in mind the real cheap version is just a Chinese copy which quality is debated.
Yeah I know they are chinese copies but I asked a few people who are using it and they said itís fine. Yes I was talking about the cable you linked but I live in turkey and canít order from amazon, couldnít find the same cable here locally. I guess I will have to buy one with T Connector and sotter on ec3 instead.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Make sure you discharge all the NiMh packs equally, you don't want to connect a fully charged pack with a discharged pack for example. Then connect all the NiMh packs together in parallel and use a para-board to charge them as a single pack at higher charge rate that is around 1C:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...board&_sacat=0

So let's say each pack is 5000mAh then that converts to 5Ah x 5 packs = 25A for your charge rate, if your charger can't handle 25A then I would consider upgrading, more info here:This will effectively charge all your packs in the same time that it would take to charge just 1 pack, plus you will have less tendency to get false peaks with higher capacity!

Last edited by billdelong; 06-07-2022 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

NiMh pack parallel charging is no good advice, it is only possible when you have the same packs (same brand cells, same capacity) but still the delta peak detection can be messed up....
Beside that, he wants to get a cheap 50 watt charger so no high amps are possible, just max 5A
Old 06-07-2022, 11:31 AM
Tech Champion

https://www.pmbl.co.uk/blog/charging-nimh-batteries

Parallel NiMH Battery Charging: The consequence of the lack of a set charge voltage is that it makes charging NiMH & NiCd Batteries difficult to charge in parallel. This is because you can't be certain that each cell or battery pack is of the same resistance (or impedance), and therefore some cells will consume more current than others even when they are full. Consequently, you need to use a separate charging circuit for each string in a parallel pack, or provide current balancing in an alternative manner, for example by employing resistors that provide a resistance that it will impose the current control.

The charging efficiency of nickel metal hydride batteries is normally 66%, which means for every 100 amp hours of energy out put you must put 150 amp hours into the battery in the form of charging. This situation deteriorates when you attempt to charge the battery faster.

However, modern charging algorithms have been developed to enable accurate charging without using a thermistor. These chargers have special measurement techniques to detect a full charge, usually involving some kind of pulse cycle where the voltage is measured during the pulse and between pulses. Luckily, NiMH does not mind being overcharged, which allows the charger to balance the cells during the trickle charge. As the NiMH battery reaches it's end of charge phase, oxygen starts to form at the electrodes, and be recombined at the catalyst. This new chemical reaction creates heat, which can be easily measured and is the safest way to detect end-of-charge during a fast charge.

I just want to emphasize the following:

Luckily, NiMH does not mind being overcharged, which allows the charger to balance the cells during the trickle charge.

I have charged my NiMh packs in parallel as discussed above and it worked perfectly fine for me, though I do agree that it's good practice to use packs of the same age and capacity without the ability to balance the cells.

Why anyone chooses to run NiMh today is a complete mystery to me.
gigaplex and Werty Yui like this.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:51 AM
Tech Lord

NiMh cells do mind an overcharging if the charging current is higher than 1/10th of the capacity. Charging at 1/10th of the capacity will not produce a lot of heat that easily will be dissipated, with currents even as low an half of the capacity when the cell is full and the current stays on I can tell you from own experience the cell will heat up too much burning away the shrink wrap and damaging the cell..
Old 06-07-2022, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

I've never caused enough heat to damage the shrink wrap while charging in parallel, however I have damaged the shrink wrap on many of my NiMh (and NiCd) packs simply from running them in my RC cars, ha!

When I got my first "charger" around 1986, it was nothing more than a pair of alligator clips with steel wire crimped to a Tamiya molex connector. Instructions were to hook it up to a 12V automotive battery and wait for the battery to be too hot to hold for more than 3 seconds then disconnect. This isn't rocket science
DRTMI likes this.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by billdelong View Post

I just want to emphasize the following:

I have charged my NiMh packs in parallel as discussed above and it worked perfectly fine for me, though I do agree that it's good practice to use packs of the same age and capacity without the ability to balance the cells.

Why anyone chooses to run NiMh today is a complete mystery to me.
Why would I want to run Lipo, they are super expensive. Nimh is good enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.