Soldering Iron Recommendations >

Soldering Iron Recommendations

Like Tree11Likes

Soldering Iron Recommendations

Old 04-19-2022, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Soldering Iron Recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good soldering iron. I need one to be able to remove wires from a HW ESC to customize my wire length. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-19-2022, 05:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hakko fx 888d
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Last year I wanted a new soldering iron for my newly built dedicated workbench but didn't want to spend too much. I got this one here:
CREWORKS Soldering Rework Station with Hot Air Heat Gun CREWORKS Soldering Rework Station with Hot Air Heat Gun
. It was even cheaper then and I was hesitant about getting one that I didn't know about but it works great and heats up to working temperature in about 5-6 seconds. The only thing I don't like is there is no completely off switch on this model. I just use a power strip to kill the power to it completely.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:16 AM
Tech Lord

Although the search is broken, Google can still find many topics on this forum.

Soldering iron - R/C Tech Forums (rctech.net)

Soldering station recommendation. - R/C Tech Forums (rctech.net) (with more links)
Old 04-19-2022, 06:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Roelof
Although the search is broken, Google can still find many topics on this forum.

Soldering iron - R/C Tech Forums (rctech.net)

Soldering station recommendation. - R/C Tech Forums (rctech.net) (with more links)
Much appreciated. Didn't know you could use Google to search the RCtech, good to know. Anyone know when the search will be fixed?
Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM
Tech Master

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 04-19-2022, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Anyone know when the search will be fixed?
Maybe never. See Search function not working.
Old 04-19-2022, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

not sure a noob should be removing the esc wires as they more than likely have limited soldering skills and will destroy esc in there replacing ,I've added length to my esc wires in past by starting with fresh cut end of esc wire then weaving piece into old wire soldering it together then adding heat shrink tube.good luck .lol had to laugh. i see this going badly even b4 you start i see op melting solder joints in multi layered boards in esc plugging battery in seeing a smoke show followed by fire then battery melting down...my go to iron is a 80watt led weller, also run a HealthKit 150 it has 3 temp levels
Old 04-19-2022, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

search has never worked for me even dont think it will ever,
Old 04-19-2022, 09:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the rc guy
search has never worked for me even dont think it will ever,
There is a difference between not working well / having poor results and literally not working.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

not sure a noob should be removing the esc wires as they more than likely have limited soldering skills and will destroy esc in there replacing ,I've added length to my esc wires in past by starting with fresh cut end of esc wire then weaving piece into old wire soldering it together then adding heat shrink tube.good luck .lol had to laugh. i see this going badly even b4 you start i see op melting solder joints in multi layered boards in esc plugging battery in seeing a smoke show followed by fire then battery melting down...my go to iron is a 80watt led weller, also run a HealthKit 150 it has 3 temp levels

? - the "noob" has been on the forum since 2002 - you?
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Can anyone recommend a good soldering iron. I need one to be able to remove wires from a HW ESC to customize my wire length. Thanks in advance!
Choose an iron with high heat (850°F +) and a heavy tip. The HW's use lead free solder and getting the old wires out cleanly is tough. Hit it with high heat, and when you remove the wire let the whole ESC cool off before attempting the next wire. Use a clean tip that has a nice covering of "wet" solder to transfer the most heat. If your tip is old and gnarly throw it out. You will never get enough heat into the lead-free to break the bond on a heavy wire (12-14 guage). Then get some wire braid and clean out all of the old lead-free garbage before re-tinning with decent leaded solder. Once converted you can swap in new wires much easier. I've done two XR10 Pros and a Pro-stock and they were all a PITA to do.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Is that a general statement or were you referring to me as a noob and who mentioned anything about weaving wires together?
Smokeyr67 likes this.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bsthetech
Choose an iron with high heat (850°F +) and a heavy tip. The HW's use lead free solder and getting the old wires out cleanly is tough. Hit it with high heat, and when you remove the wire let the whole ESC cool off before attempting the next wire. Use a clean tip that has a nice covering of "wet" solder to transfer the most heat. If your tip is old and gnarly throw it out. You will never get enough heat into the lead-free to break the bond on a heavy wire (12-14 guage). Then get some wire braid and clean out all of the old lead-free garbage before re-tinning with decent leaded solder. Once converted you can swap in new wires much easier. I've done two XR10 Pros and a Pro-stock and they were all a PITA to do.
Really appreciate the detailed feedback. Now that I think of it, my tip is probably due for a replacement!
Old 04-19-2022, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by belewis01
? - the "noob" has been on the forum since 2002 - you?
Thank you ;-)
Smokeyr67 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.